Borussia Dortmund-Mainz Preview: BVB warm up for Madrid clash at home
Jurgen Klopp may choose to rotate his squad just a few days before the vital Champions League clash, which will also take place in Signal Iduna Park
By Daniel Edwards
Grosskreutz, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Leitner, Gotze
Pospech, Svensson, Noveski, Diaz
Baum'er, Soto, Risse, Ivanschitz
With a place in the Champions League for the coming season all but guaranteed, and a crucial home semi-final clash in this year's edition against Real Madrid on the horizon, Jurgen Klopp may well decide to rest several stars to ensure they arrive in peak condition. Marco Reus, currently suffering a thigh strain, is one player almost certain to start from the bench against Mainz.
Coming off the back of two straight defeats, and having won just twice in the whole of 2013, Mainz will hope for an improvement in the final encounters of the season, safely ensconced in mid-table. Shawn Parker came off the bench in a 2-1 reverse to Hamburg, and could get the nod from the start on Saturday afternoon.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund had to give up their dreams of recording a third-successive Bundesliga title, after Bayern Munich claimed the title with six games to spare two weeks ago.
- A win on Saturday, however, would guarantee the second-placed team a spot in the Champions League next year; five games from the end, they lie 12 points clear of Schalke (in fourth) and with a far superior goal difference.
- With 72 goals scored, BVB could still beat their tally for 2012-13, where they netted 80 times on the way to the title. The real drop has been in defence; 35 goals conceded this year, compared to just 22 at the end of 2011-12.
- Mainz are another club still entertaining hopes of European football, sitting just three points off the Europa League places in ninth.
- On the other hand, they are close enough to the relegation fight to still need four more points to be absolutely safe from the drop.
While Dortmund's Robert Lewandowski (22) leads the Bundesliga scoring charts, Mainz have their own high-scoring representative: Hungarian Adam Szalai (pictured), with 13 goals so far.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 3-0 Mainz
- 16.71 %
Borussia Dortmund 3-1 Mainz
- 13.99 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Mainz
- 9.72 %
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Nov 30, 2013||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 3|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Apr 20, 2013||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 0|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Nov 24, 2012||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Mar 3, 2012||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Mainz 1|
|1. Bundesliga (GER1)||Sep 24, 2011||Mainz 1 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|Apr 15, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - VfL Wolfsburg 0||GERC|
|Apr 12, 2014||FC Bayern München 0 - Borussia Dortmund 3||GER1|
|Apr 8, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid CF 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - VfL Wolfsburg 1||GER1|
|Apr 2, 2014||Real Madrid CF 3 - Borussia Dortmund 0||UCL|
The ex-Real Madrid man has struggled to shine since completing a loan move back to BVB, but the quality is still there and he will be hoping for a strong performance to put himself in contention for a Champions League starting berth.
Without the Hungarian's goals, Mainz could well have been facing a tense relegation battle this year. He will be keen to add to his tally in a tough match for the visitors.
Dortmund will almost inevitably have one eye on Jose Mourinho's men, but even still they should have more than enough to take down an out of form Mainz outfit and record a comfortable victory.
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed