Newcastle - Manchester United Preview: Magpies looking to go four games unbeaten against the Red Devils
Sir Alex Ferguson's side lost 3-0 on their last visit to Tyneside but came out on top in their League Cup encounter last week, while both sides registered midweek European wins
By Tom McKeown
Simpson, Perch, Williamson, Santon
Ben Arfa, Tiote, Cabaye, Gutierrez
Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra
Nani, Rooney, Kagawa
Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew is facing a defensive crisis ahead of Sunday’s game, with Steven Taylor (calf) unavailable and Fabricio Coloccini (thigh) also a doubt.
Danny Simpson is pushing to shrug off a hamstring injury to return to the side, meaning James Perch could fill in at centre-back, while midfielder Yohan Cabaye is set to make a comeback from a mouth infection.
Meanwhile, the game may come too soon for Tim Krul (elbow), and Ryan Taylor (knee) is a long-term absentee for the Magpies.
Sir Alex Ferguson is still without defenders Phil Jones and Nemanja Vidic (both knee), but Chris Smalling (foot) could make a comeback to the Manchester United squad.
Antonio Valencia (foot) and Ashley Young (knee) remain sidelined, while Darren Fletcher (stomach) could make a first Premier League appearance after coming back from a 10-month absence against CFR Cluj in midweek.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Newcastle's 3-0 win over Sir Alex’s side last season was their first over the Red Devils in 20 matches in all competitions; their previous victory was a 4-3 thriller in September 2001.
- However, if the Magpies avoid defeat it will be the first time since 1989 they have gone four games unbeaten in the league against the Red Devils.
- A massive 88 per cent of Newcastle's goals have come in the second half; the highest proportion of any team in the league.
- Demba Ba has made two Premier League appearances against Manchester United, and scored in both.
- Manchester United have gone behind in five of their six Premier League games this season.
- Both Paul Scholes (nine) and Wayne Rooney (10) have scored more goals against Newcastle than when facing any other Premier League club.
- In his last five starts against Newcastle, Robin van Persie has scored five times.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Newcastle 1-3 Man Utd.
- 20.6 %
Newcastle 1-2 Man Utd.
- 12.27 %
Newcastle 0-3 Man Utd.
- 10.07 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 7, 2013||Man Utd. 0 - Newcastle 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 26, 2012||Man Utd. 4 - Newcastle 3|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Oct 7, 2012||Newcastle 0 - Man Utd. 3|
|England - Capital One Cup(League Cup) (CCUP)||Sep 26, 2012||Man Utd. 2 - Newcastle 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 4, 2012||Newcastle 3 - Man Utd. 0|
|Mar 1, 2014||Hull 1 - Newcastle 4||EPL|
|Feb 23, 2014||Newcastle 1 - Aston Villa 0||EPL|
|Feb 12, 2014||Newcastle 0 - Tottenham 4||EPL|
|Feb 8, 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Newcastle 0||EPL|
|Feb 1, 2014||Newcastle 0 - Sunderland 3||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|14||Javier 'Chicharito' Hernandez||Striker|
Times In BST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed