Roberto Mancini's side will be favourites at El Madrigal as the home team approach the game on the back of a poor run of form and with fresh injury concerns
Gaspar, Gonzalo, Musacchio, Catala
Camunas, Bruno, Marchena, De Guzman
Richards, Kompany, Lescott, Clichy
Yaya Toure, Barry
Johnson, Aguero, Silva
Star striker Giuseppe Rossi has dealt the club a hammer blow after injuring his cruciate knee ligament, and will subsequently be out of action for up to six months. Brazilian forward Nilmar is also still sidelined. World Cup winner Carlos Marchena will however return from a back injury, and will likely feature in midfield. Full-back Angel, who has been out of action since January with cruciate ligament damage, is back to full fitness but this fixture may arrive too early for him.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This is only the second time Villarreal and Manchester City have faced each other, the first was in the Champions League encounter a fortnight ago.
- Villarreal have lost all three group games in the Champions League so far.
- Manchester City have only competed in Europe’s premier club competition once before, in the 1968-69 season, going out in the first round to Turkish giants Fenerbahce.
- Villarreal have featured in the Champions League group stage twice, reaching the semi-finals in 2005-06 and the quarter-finals in 2007-08, both times losing to Arsenal.
- Villarreal have scored just 13 goals to Manchester City’s 48 in all competitions so far this season.
- Despite City's relative lack of experience in Europe, two players who are likely to feature - Mario Balotelli and Yaya Toure - have both won the competition previously.
- Villarreal have won only one of their last eight games in all competitions.