thumbnail Hello,

UEFA Europa League

  • February 23, 2011
  • • 17:00
  • • Estádio Do Dragão, Porto
  • Referee: H. Webb
  • • Attendance: 35609

Aggregate 2 - 2 Porto win on away goals

Porto 0-1 Sevilla (2-2 Agg): Los Nervionenses Eliminated From Europa League Despite Second Leg Triumph

Porto 0-1 Sevilla (2-2 Agg): Los Nervionenses Eliminated From Europa League Despite Second Leg Triumph

A narrow 1-0 win was not enough for Sevilla, who go out of the Europa League on away goals...

Porto booked their ticket to the Round of 16 in the Europa League despite falling 1-0 to Sevilla on Wednesday evening.

Sevilla were on the back foot for most of the game and both teams had a player sent off within five minutes of one another. The Portuguese outfit were unable to capitalise on their dominance, but two away goals from the first leg saw the tie finish 2-2, and Porto progressed to the next stage of the competition.

Sevilla troubled the hosts early on, with Frederic Kanoute firing a shot just wide of goal in the third minute, after some shabby defending. Moments later Porto had a penalty shout turned down, as Hulk appeared to be pulled to the ground by Fernando Navarro, but referee Howard Webb ignored the home side's protests.

Porto came extremely close to goal in the 20th minute, as Belluschi unleashed a shot that fizzed just wide of the mark.

Porto had another opportunity ten minutes later, this time through Alvaro Pereira, but his shot was blocked by Javi Varas.

Falcao then saw a great header hit the crossbar, before picking up the rebound and being knocked over, but Howard Webb was again unwilling to blow his whistle.

Despite Porto's dominance, the first half ended goalless. Sevilla had been fortunate to go into half-time level, after more than one decent penalty shout being denied, and a fair few good chances to build on their aggregate lead.

Os Tripeiros came out for the second half looking every bit as strong as they had in the first, coming close to goal on more than one occasion in the first ten minutes of the half, but Sevilla looked better able to cope with the pressure.

In the 58th minute, Falcao looked certain to put his team ahead, breaking free of the Nervionenses defence, before putting his chipped effort over the bar.

In a surprising turn of events it was Sevilla who took the lead, as Luis Fabiano was released by a great pass from Alvaro Negredo, and the Brazilian did well to slot the ball past the 'keeper and into the net.

More drama ensued shortly afterwards as Alvaro Pereira saw a somewhat soft red card for a  challenge on Gary Medel in the 72nd minute, and just five minutes later Alexis was shown his second yellow card, reducing both sides to ten men.

The final few moments of the match were hectic, both sides creating chances, but it finished 1-0 in favour of Sevilla, who will come to rue their ineffectiveness in the first leg.

Follow on . Get the latest football news direct... Check out's  page; be part of the best football fan community in the world!