Ghana international Thomas Teye Partey has revealed unhappiness about his limited game time this season, amid speculations that he could be pursuing a move away in January.
After unarguably his biggest term of European football last season, the Ghana international has been reduced to a peripheral figure at Wanda Metropolitano this campaign, largely due to the acquisition of Spain midfielder Rodrigo Hernandez.
The Black Star, who made 33 La Liga appearances involving 28 starts last season, has had only nine outings involving three first XI berths for Diego Simeone’s outfit so far this campaign.
“At times, I don’t feel good but I can say that I work well in order to help the team when the coach needs me,” Partey, who has been linked to the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG, said in an Atletico video interview.
“He [club manager Simeone] knows what I can offer and he asks me to work hard, make the team work and think that I’m important in this team.”
Amid some injury worries, Atletico are set to come up against Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish topflight on Saturday.
“In games like this one, we have to try to do our job well and pay attention to detail, like we always do,” said, the 25-year-old.
“We know that they [Athletic] play direct, and that we can win if we’re more intense.
“Our fans are very important to the players. Hearing them cheer us on make us stronger. It gives us strength to win any match.
“The team has done well despite the injuries. We have tried to overcome the situation, putting in a big effort.”
The former Almeria and Real Mallorca man will head straight for international duty after the weekend fixture, having been named in Ghana’s 20-man squad for an Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Ethiopia on November 18.