Kaizer Chiefs deny interest in Mamelodi Sundowns striker Leonardo Castro

Comments()
Backpagepix
Goal understands that Amakhosi made a late attempt to sign the South American striker last week, but the club has since denied any interest in Castro

Kaizer Chiefs have denied reports that they attempted to sign Leonardo Castro from Mamelodi Sundowns before the transfer window closed last week Thursday. 

According to the club's communications manager Vina Maphosa, Castro was never on their radar, although reports state otherwise. 

"We never wanted to sign Castro. I have a list of players who were signed. There are those that I know we were targeting, but Castro was not one of them," Maphosa told Isolezwe.

A source close to the publication revealed that football manager Bobby Motaung is the one who was serious about luring the 29-year-old to Naturena, but said the Soweto giants pulled out of the deal after Sundowns named their price for the lanky marksman.  

"Bobby is the one who really wanted Castro. Sundowns were willing to release him, but Chiefs were afraid to pay. Castro was registered with the PSL on the final day," the source said.

Meanwhile, Sundowns media officer Thulani Thuswa refused to be drawn into whether or not Chiefs were after the services of Castro, saying the fact that the South American frontman is currently in camp with the club, simply means that he's still happy at Chloorkop.  

Article continues below

"Castro is a Sundowns player. Let's please stick to that because the fact that he's here, it means that he's still happy at Sundowns," Thuswa said. 

Chiefs confirmed last week that they will not rest until their find a quality striker to reinforce their striking department this season. 

The Glamour Boys parted ways with no less than four strikers at the end of last season, including Camaldine Abraw, Siphelele Mthembu and Lewis Macha among others. 

Close