Last week Kaizer Chiefs confirmed that they had parted ways with Katlego Mphela, meaning the striker is eligible to join a team of his choice ahead of next season.
According to Mphela's representative Glyn Binkin, there's still a possibility for the 30-year-old frontman to move to abroad. He also revealed that no local teams have shown interest in Killer so far.
“It has always been Katlego’s intention to play overseas, but that didn’t materialize. He did go to France [with RC Stasbourg] when he was a teenager but he wasn’t really a first-team player. There were overseas offers for him while he was still at Sundowns, but those were rejected by the club. We hope this time he will fulfill his dream,” Binkin told the Sowetan.
“To be honest, it’s still quiet in the market because clubs are on holidays. There’s also a lot of uncertainty at most clubs and the transfer window period only opens on July 1, but maybe the manner in which he left Chiefs may also influence clubs,” Binkin said.
Binkin added that Mphela was not forced to leave Amakhosi, saying that his client also wanted to pursue his career elsewhere next season.
“The parting of ways was so amicable that financial considerations did not even come into play. Chiefs wanted him to go and he also wanted to go.
“I saw the correspondence from Chiefs about the reported incidents [missed functions]. They indicated they were issues, but we agreed they should issue him with his clearance. In the end, both parties were happy,” Binkin added.