United States U17 v England U17 Match Report, 2017/10/21

1 - 4
J. Sargent (72)
R. Brewster (11)
R. Brewster (14)
M. Gibbs-White (64)
R. Brewster (90+6 pen)
Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (Fatorda Stadium)
U17 World Cup: USA 1 England 4: Rhian Brewster powers Youngs Lions into the semi final
18:54 SAST 2017/10/21
HD Rhian Brewster
Steve Cooper's boys made a meal of the U17 USMNT in the quarterfinal to make it into the last four of the competition...

England booked a semi-final berth at the FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 courtesy of a dominant 4-1 win over USA in the quarter-final clash held at the Fatorda Stadium in Goa on Saturday.

Rhian Brewster (11', 14', 90+5') scored a hat-trick to take his personal tally to four goals in the youth competition with Morgan Gibbs-White (64') also getting on the scoresheet for England. Josh Sargent (72') scored a solitary goal for the USA.

John Hackworth made two changes from their 5-0 win over Paraguay. Chris Gloster and Taylor Booth replaced Sergino Dest and the suspended Chris Goslin.

With Jadon Sancho absent for England, Steve Cooper brought in Gibbs-White in place of Manchester United's Angel Gomes.

Tashan Oakley-Boothe's effort from outside the box in the fifth minute won a round of applause from the England fans in the stands, though USA goalkeeper Justin Garces had it under control.

Callum Hudson-Odoi followed it up with a brilliant run down the left flank, with space afforded inside the box, but his eventual shot from the six-yard area was blocked by James Sands.

USA then succumbed to the early pressure in the 11th minute when Philip Foden made easy work of his markers on the right wing to swing in a cross to allow Brewster a tap-in.

Foden was at it again with a neat through ball to Brewster who struck England's second goal in the 14th minute. Two minutes later, with USA still finding their feet in the game, Brewster almost bagged his hat-trick. The Liverpool striker's left-footed shot from the left side of the box off Gibbs-White's pass was saved at the bottom left corner of the net.

Luck evaded the Americans when a corner taken by Andrew Carleton was tipped away by the England goalkeeper Curtis Anderson into the path of Josh Sargent, whose volley could only find the crossbar.

In the 37th minute, England goalkeeper Anderson did well to thwart Booth's shot from the right side of the box after Sands had delivered an inch-perfect through ball.

Five minutes into the second half, Chris Durkin put in an incredible slide to prevent Gibbs-White's shot at goal from Hudson-Odoi's pass that had already beaten Garces.

Minutes later, the ball dropped inside the USA goal for the third time off Hudson-Odoi's corner but French referee Clement Turpin had already blown the whistle against England skipper Joel Latibeaudiere for a foul.

England's set-pieces troubled the USA goalkeeper as Hudson-Odoi continued to torment the left flank.

England got their third goal four minutes past the hour mark as Gibbs-White buried a first-time effort after Brewster provided an inch-perfect cross from the right.

Hackworth's side finally pulled one back in the 72nd minute. The move was initiated by Carleton's pass on the right for Dest, whose fierce right-footer was blocked by Anderson but fell kindly for Sargent to get it past the goal-line. The goal, however, failed to affect the outcome of the match. 

Dest was then sent off for injury-time foul on Brewster, who himself stepped up to convert the resultant penalty.

The  Young Lions  will now await the winner of Sunday's quarterfinal encounter between Germany and Brazil in Kolkata to know their semi-final opponent.