SuperSport United 0-1 Cape Town City: Gift Links steals it at the death
The Citizens nearly dropped all three points away from home, but they were superior to Matsatsantsa, who lacked the required motivation on the day

Gift Links scored a late winner as Cape Town City broke the hearts of SuperSport United in a league match which was played at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Saturday.

After a hard-fought encounter in front of an empty Lucas Moripe stadium, Benni McCarthy's men produced a much better second half. 

Kermit Erasmus made his debut for the Citizens following his return from Europe. 

Although he didn't find the back of the net, the diminutive striker would be pleased to be on the winning side against his former club. 

James Keene had the first chance of the match following a free-kick by Matsatsantsa which he mistimed with a poor finish. 

The home side created another goalscoring chance through Phumlani Ntshangase, but the striker failed to convert from a Jamie Webber assist minutes later. 

Links skied his effort as City began to take control of the match in the first half. 

Debutant Kermit Erasmus was presented with an opportunity to score just before the half-time.

The City debutant who showed good touches on the ball but was not presented with an opening chance at goal closer to half-time as Matsatsantsa's defence kept their cool and thwarted him as both sides went into the break locked at 0-0. 

The second half saw the home side probe in search of the opening goal.

However, they were unable to breach the City wall. 

Meanwhile, Ronwen Williams had to come to the rescue as the home side looked vulnerable at the back with City very much in the thick of things 10 minutes into the second half. 

Benni McCarthy realized that the encounter was heading for the draw and he made a double substitution, bringing on Craig Martin and Ayanda Patosi for Surprise Ralani and Siphelele Mthembu respectively. 

Article continues below

The move nearly benefitted City as Martin and Erasmus connected before the latter fired wide of the goal in the final 15 minutes of the game. 

But there was time for City to score as Links hammered home the winner a few minutes before the final whistle to stun Matsatsantsa. 

The home side had a penalty shout turned down in the dying minutes as City completed a league double over United to move up to sixth on the PSL standings. 

Comments ()