Kaizer Chiefs v AmaZulu Match Report, 2021/02/17

1 - 2
L. Castro (67 pen)
A. Mulenga (45+2)
L. Majoro (85)
FNB Stadium (Soccer City)
Kaizer Chiefs 1-2 AmaZulu FC: Late Majoro strike breaks Amakhosi hearts
16:53 SAST 2021/02/17
AmaZulu FC players celebrate Lehlohonolo Majoro's goal against Kaizer Chiefs, February 2021
Major haunted the Glamour Boys by inspiring Usuthu to a win as they avenged their recent 1-0 defeat to the Soweto giants in a league game

AmaZulu FC claimed a 2-1 victory over Kaizer Chiefs in an entertaining PSL encounter at FNB Stadium on Wednesday afternoon.

Chiefs marksman Leonardo Castro cancelled out Augustine Mulenga's opening goal, but AmaZulu emerged victorious thanks to Lehlohonolo 'Major' Majoro's late strike. 

Amakhosi were desperate to snap their four-match winless run having lost 2-1 to National First Division side Richards Bay in the Nedbank Cup game two weeks ago.

Coach Gavin Hunt made six changes to the team which faced Richards Bay with Itumeleng Khune and Erick Mathoho among the players who were returning to the Chiefs starting line-up.

On the other hand, Usuthu were looking to extend their unbeaten run to eight competitive matches after drawing 0-0 with Swallows FC in a league match last weekend.

Samkelo Mgwazela and Siphelele Magubane were recalled to the starting line-up as coach Benni McCarthy made two changes to the team which took on Swallows.

Chiefs started the match brightly - launching most of their attack down the left-hand side through Happy Mashiane, who was delivering some quality crosses into the opposition's box. 

However, the promising winger picked up an injury and he was replaced by Lebogang Manyama after just 15 minutes of the match and Usuthu took control following the Amakhosi substitution. 

Siphelele Mthembu shielded the ball nicely in the Chiefs box before setting up Luvuyo Memela, who volleyed the ball straight into Khune's hands. 

Former Bafana Bafana captain Khune was then beaten by Augustine Mulenga's thunderous long-range shot, but the crossbar came to Amakhosi's rescue and the hosts cleared their lines. 

The momentum was with Usuthu towards the half-time break and they managed to break the deadlock after Mathoho had made an important goal-line clearance from Magubane's tame shot. 

Mulenga pounced on the loose ball in the hosts' box and hit the back of the net to make it 1-0 to AmaZulu on the stroke of half-time - netting his fourth goal of the season in the process. 

Former Orlando Pirates forward Mulenga continued to torment the Chiefs defence after the restart as he set-up Mthembu, who took too many touches in a one-on-one situation with Khune and he fired wide of the target.

The Amakhosi defence was looking vulnerable and Khune had to come out to deny Magubane from close range and Mthembu fired over the crossbar from the rebound.

Chiefs were awarded a penalty after Samir Nurkovic was fouled in the box by Tapelo Xoki following a rare attack by Hunt's men and Castro scored from the spot-kick to make it 1-1 in the 67th minute.

However, Chiefs were reduced to 10 players when Darrel Matsheke was sent off after receiving his second yellow card of the match, having made a two-footed tackle on the troublesome Mulenga.

McCarthy then introduced Lehlohonolo Majoro, who proved to be a super-sub as the former Chiefs striker scored with an overhead kick to make it 2-1 to AmaZulu in the 85th minute after Khune had failed to clear the ball away from danger.

Veli Mothwa, who had a quiet game between the sticks for Usuthu, produced a superb diving save to deny Nurkovic in stoppage time - ensuring that AmaZulu secured a 2-1 win over Chiefs on the day.

The victory saw AmaZulu climb up to sixth place on the league standings and they are set to take on Black Leopards in the Nedbank Cup Last 16 match on February 27.

Chiefs remained ninth on the standings and they will be hoping to return to winning ways when they face SuperSport United in a PSL match on Saturday.