Gor Mahia 1-0 Chemelil Sugar: K'Ogalo inch even closer to another league title
Gor Mahia striker Ephraim Guikan v Chemelil SUgar.J
Goal Kenya.
K'Ogalo have now opened a 17 point lead at the top of the 18-team table and could be crowned before the end of August

Chemelil Sugar collapsed with thirteen minutes to go as resilient Gor Mahia managed to open a seventeen point gap at the top of the table with a scrappy 1-0 win.

After that heartbreaking 2-1 defeat to Bandari that ended the Green Army's 22 match unbeaten run, the Dylan Kerr led side had managed to get 2-1 and 3-1 wins against Posta Rangers and Kakamega Homeboyz, and the match against the sugar millers was a chance to make it three in a row.

It was the same case with Chemelil Sugar, who had registered an identical 1-0 wins against Nzoia Sugar and Vihiga United respectively, but the Francis Baraza led side knew it was a daunting task to get maximum points against a side they have never beaten for almost a decade.

The first meaningful attempt fell to Ivorian Ephram Guikan in the 19th minute; Lawrence Juma did well to find the energetic striker whose effort was deflected by goalkeeper Robert Aimo but as far as Bernard Ondiek who could not beat the custodian.

In the 26th minute, the reliable Karim Nizigiyimana, who rarely makes a mistake, was dispossessed in the danger zone by Clifford Omondi. But the forwards could not find the way past the defense that had recovered well. A few seconds later, Shaban Odhoji had to come off the line to clear the danger after Felix Oluoch had found his way to the danger zone.

With five minutes to go, Guikan and Aimo collided as they chased the ball and it is an event that ended Guikan's afternoon as he was stretchered off the field of play, with Innocent Wafula taking his position.

Article continues below

Chemelil employed a cautious approach in the second half, relying to counter attacks, a tactic that meant K’Ogalo had more possession and time to build from the back.

For about twenty five minutes, both sides continued struggling to get into the attacking area, but it was the defending champions, who had the best of chances that they failed to capitalize on, maybe because they did not have established striker on the pitch.

With thirteen minutes to go, a harmless ball was brought in from the midfield to the visitor's danger zone, and failure in communication gave substitute Eliud Lokuwam a chance to hit the back of the net to hand the sixteen-time league champions maximum points.

Comments ()