Two magnificent comebacks illuminate Malaysia Cup quarterfinals

Gilmar Filho, Perak, Pahang, Malaysia CupPahang FA

It was a thrilling end to the 2017 Malaysia Cup quarterfinal stage as contrasting fortunes befallen two different teams from the state of Perak.

Perak The Bos Gaurus were outstanding when they managed to overturn a 1-3 deficit from the first leg to hammer Pahang 4-0 in the return leg. Mehmet Durakovic's boys got an early goal through Gilmar Filho in the 3rd minute of the match but were made to wait until the second half to confirm their place in the semis.

Gilmar grabbed his second of the night before more goals from Kenny Palraj and Nazrin Nawi, both from counter attacks sent the massive crowd at Perak Stadium into delirium. Despite having to play without key players in Hafiz Kamal and Yashir Pinto, Perak more than proved that they are a real contender for the trophy they last won in the year 2000.

Standing in Perak's way of a place in the final is none other than reigning Super League champions, Johor Darul Ta'zim (JDT). The Southern Tigers put out a second string side in the second leg against Melaka United but still proved too strong for their counterpart.

Ulisses Morais opted to make eight changes from the team that beat Kelantan in midweek and one of the changes in Nazmi Faiz opened the scoring in the 21st minute. However, Melaka drew level through Felipe De Souza just before half time but that was all that they could managed as JDT advanced with a 5-2 aggregate score.

There was to be heartbreak for the either side from Perak as PKNP FC succumbed to a 1-4 defeat to Felda United at Shah Alam Stadium to get knocked out of the competition with a 4-5 aggregate score. The full match report can be read here

Felda's opponent in the semi-final will be none other than Kedah, who dispatched off Selangor in the last of the quarterfinal match-ups. Having won the away leg 3-2, Kedah did it again in front of their own fans at Darul Aman Stadium.

Sandro da Silva's lone strike through a spot kick in the first half was all that was needed to give The Red Eagles a 1-0 win in the second leg to advance with a 4-2 aggregate.

The semi-final first legs are scheduled to be played on 13th and 14th October.