Malaysia Cup matchday 3 round up: Perak, Kedah bounce back

Football Malaysia LLP
Malaysia Cup group standings remain tight after three rounds, while one team has yet to net a point.

BY        ZULHILMI ZAINAL       Follow on Twitter

Amidst the euphoria of Malaysia U-23's upset win over South Korea U-23 in the Asian Games last Friday, matchday three of the 2018 Malaysia Cup took place over the weekend.

Group A

Group leaders Terengganu FC failed to maintain their perfect record, mustering only a 2-2 draw against Felcra FC at home. Ashari Samsudin gave the hosts a comfortable lead with his brace (21', 46'), but the visitors retained their quarter-final hopes alive, by tying the game through goals by Alif Samsudin (60') and Abdul Azim Rahim (90').

Perak meanwhile returned to winning ways, when they defeated Kuala Lumpur 2-0 in Cheras. The Bos Gaurus' goals were scored by Jad Noureddine in the 40th minute, before Gilmar Filho sealed the win with his 63rd minute goal. 

Standings: Terengganu (7 points), Perak (4), Kuala Lumpur (3), Felcra (2).

Group B

PDRM missed a glorious chance to bag their first win, after they let slip a two-goal lead away to Melaka United. The Cops raced to a 2-0 lead through goals by Sim Woon-Sub (pen. 49') and Nabil Ahmad Latpi (78'), but allowed the hosts to tie the game late in the match, through goals by Ifedayo Omosuyi (86') and Yahor Zubovich (90+2').

Felda United meanwhile recorded a stunning 3-2 comeback win over PKNS FC in Shah Alam. Two quick goals by Rafael Ramazotti (16') and Faris Ramli (20') put the hosts in front early on, but the Premier League champions never broke stride. Iain Ramsay pulled one back for them in the 28th minute, before Gilberto Fortunato levelled the scoreline in the 68th minute. 10 minutes from time, Wan Amirul Afiq bagged the winner for the Fighters.

Standings: Felda (7), PKNS (4), Melaka (3), PDRM (1)

Group C

Kedah bounced back from the thrashing they received from JDT last week, to defeat MISC-MIFA 3-2 at home. The visitors opened the scoring through red-hot Kpah Sherman in the 28th minute, before Liridon Krasniqi's 44th minute penalty cancelled it out. Syazwan Tajudin's own goal three minutes into the second half gave MISC the lead again, but Krasniqi's second goal at the hour mark and Sandro da Silva's 66th minute winner bagged Kedah's first win in the competition. 

Kelantan too recorded their first win, shocking JDT 1-0 at home in Kota Bharu. The only goal of the match was scored by Cristiano Santos, a first half injury time penalty. The hosts then held on for the three points, at the cost of two sendings off; against Santos and Hakimi Abdullah.

Standings: MISC (6), Kelantan (4), Kedah (4), JDT (3)

Group D

Sabah continued their fine form in the competition, edging Selangor 2-1 at home. The first goal only came in the 79th minute through Selangor's Sean Selvaraj, but substitutes turned the night around for the hosts. Goals by Rahman Shah Marajeh (83') and Ricco Nigel Milus (90+2') sealed the Rhinos the three points.

Pahang remained as favourites, recording a 1-0 away win over PKNP FC. The only goal of the match was scored by their skipper Matthew Davies in the 83rd minute.

Standings: Pahang (7), Sabah (7), PKNP (3), Selangor (0)


Also follow Goal Malaysia's new Instagram account!