“We consider ourselves fortunate to be adding a person of Jeff's caliber to our team,” Rodríguez said. “His vast playing experience and recent time in the front office of an MLS club make him the ideal person to help us plan and execute the next stage of development for the League's competition."
A veteran of 10 years and five MLS Cup wins in the league, Agoos has previously served as Technical Director and Sporting Director of the New York Red Bulls.
"I am honored and privileged to be able to give back to the sport that gave me so much,” Agoos said. “I am looking forward to contributing to the continued growth of the sport in this country and am thrilled to be working alongside so many dedicated and professional people in MLS."
Listed below are some of the duties expected of Agoos in his new position:
- Oversee an annual League-wide technical assessment that includes suggestions for improving the play
- Interface daily with club technical departments
- Assist in preparation and execution of MLS Technical Committee meetings
- Aid in maintaining positive, productive relationships with CONCACAF, U.S. Soccer, the Canadian Soccer Association, and other soccer organizations
- Serve as an MLS spokesperson on competition matters
- Participate in game monitoring as part of MLS Matchday Central