The Columbus Crew have declined to pick up Guillermo Barros Schelotto’s final option year on his contract, likely ending his time in Columbus, according to a report in The Columbus Dispatch.
Schelotto was quoted as saying "Today the coach told me he wanted to make the team young. They have made the decision."
The 37 year-old Schelotto has said he will play another season in MLS with a different team. He will likely be available in the November 24 expansion draft for Portland or Vancouver to select.
If he is not selected by either expansion team, Schelotto would enter the brand new re-entry draft next month.
The news will come as a bit of shock to the Crew faithful, as Schelotto established himself one of the team’s greatest ever players during his three and-a-half seasons in Ohio.
He scored 33 goals and tallied 41 assists in his time with Columbus, but his most notable accomplishments came in the 2008 season, when he led the Crew to a Supporters’ Shield and an MLS Cup championship. He won the league’s MVP award and his three assists against New York in the MLS Cup won him the MVP of that match as well, topping off a remarkable season.
Schelotto wasn’t the only big name veteran leaving the Crew though, as former U.S. national teamer Frankie Hejduk’s option was declined. The 36 year-old Hejduk had been with the Crew since 2003 and served as team captain.
Midfielder Duncan Oughton and defender Gino Padula also had their options declined, as the Crew began rebuilding after an early playoff exit at the hands of the Colorado Rapids.