I-League 2017: Churchill Brothers 1-2 Mumbai FC: Late Sawhney strike breaks Churchill hearts
The 24-year-old made amends for his penalty miss by striking a late dagger through Churchill hearts to win all 3 points for Mumbai FC..

A very late strike from Karan Sawhney strike (90+') clinched a 2-1 victory for Mumbai FC away against Churchill Brothers after Victorino Fernandes (34') cancelled out Brandon Fernandes' (4') opener for the home side. 

Trinidad and Tobago striker Anthony Wolfe started in place of Aniston Fernandes for the home side as the visiting coach Santosh Kashyap named an unchanged first eleven from their opening weekend win.

Mumbai had more of an attacking nous at the start but it was Churchill who took the lead in the fourth minute. Brandon Fernandes' direct free-kick, awarded after Pratik Chowdhary fouled Clifford Miranda, bulged the back of the net. 

The away side, though trailing by a goal, kept on searching for an equaliser. Steven Dias and Victorino Fernandes were especially threatening on the right wing. In the 12th minute, Siam Hanghal saw his shot from distance come off the crossbar after Dias teed off Farukh Choudhary's pass from the left.

Lalchhawnkima did well to keep Wolfe in check in the Mumbai defence. Shallum Pires then almost scored from a header off Dias' cross. 

Thoi Singh too came close to directing his header into the net off another delivery by Dias in the 21st minute. Minutes later, Churchill goalkeeper Priyant Singh had to be alert to thwart the threat posed by Thoi's run into the box.

Mumbai eventually scored the equaliser through an opportunistic strike by Victorino who took advantage of a mix-up between defender Rowilson Rodrigues and his goalkeeper in the 35th minute. 

Article continues below

The score read 1-1 at half-time. 

It was the home side who started the second-half on the front foot and they forced two quick saves from Kattimani as Clifford and Rowilson's attempts were kept out from 2 corners taken by Brandon.

As the home side kept on attacking, the visitors resorted to keeping the ball to break the flow of Churchill's game often.

Both coaches introduced fresh legs to aid their side's chances of breaking the deadlock. Anthony D'Souza replaced Miranda and Hitesh Sharma came in for Victorino, but the move failed to make an impact for Churchill. 

Mumbai had a great chance to win the game in the 84th minute. Adil Khan's poor tackle on Hitesh saw referee Rahul Kumar Gupta point to the spot but substitute Karan Sawhney's poor spot-kick was easily saved by Priyant.

But the substitute went from hero to zero in the 2nd minute of injury time after he was picked out by Thoi Singh, who had surged down the right wing and got to the byline. Sawhney's side-footed shot was weak but it, fortunately, rolled into the far bottom corner. 

Churchill have now lost both their games while Mumbai kept pace with Mohun Bagan and Bengaluru FC

Comments ()