Serie A Preview: AC Milan-Lazio
Massimiliano Allegri's side is a rejuvenated force in 2013 and will look to strike a telling blow in its bid to claim a Champions League spot.
By Alec Fenn
De Sciglio, Yepes, Zapata, Constant
Montolivo, Muntari, Boateng
Niang, Balotelli, El Shaarawy
Pereirinha, Biava, Dias, Radu
Candreva, G'lez, Ledesma, Hernanes, Lulic
A six-pointer is usually a phrase reserved for relegation tussles, but on Saturday evening AC Milan and Lazio do battle in a contest that could prove decisive in the chase for third place.
Back in October, the very thought of the Rossoneri being among the chasing pack for a Champions League spot was unthinkable, after back-to-back defeats to Inter and the Biancocelesti.
Come Spring, however, and circumstances have changed somewhat, with a victory over Barcelona and a 1-1 draw with the Nerazzurri, Milan's backdrop to this intriguing encounter.
As it stands, just two points separate the two sides, with Lazio a place better off than its host in third and both will be desperate to lay down a pivotal marker in the race for European soccer.
Abdoulay Konko, Miroslav Klose, Marius Stankevicius, Cristian Brocchi and Stefano Mauri are all missing for the visitor, while the San Siro side will be without Daniele Bonera and Nigel de Jong through injury. Philippe Mexes serves a one match suspension.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- With 16 goals to his name, Stephan El Shaarawy (right) is AC Milan's leading goalscorer so far this season.
- Milan has won its last six matches at San Siro.
- The Rossoneri have also scored at least twice in each of their previous five home games.
- Massimiliano Allegri's side has won four of its last six league games.
- Lazio is on an indifferent run of form, having lost three, drawn two and won one of its last five Serie A games.
- Vladimir Petkovic's side ran out 3-2 winner at the Stadio Olimpico in the first meeting between the two sides back in October.
- The Biancocelesti's cause has not been helped by an injury to Miroslav Klose, with the veteran striker the club's top scorer on 10 goals.
Top 3 Predictions
Milan 2-0 Lazio
- 26.81 %
Milan 2-1 Lazio
- 14.16 %
Milan 3-1 Lazio
- 11.4 %
|Serie A (SR-A)||Mar 23, 2014||Lazio 1 - Milan 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Oct 30, 2013||Milan 1 - Lazio 1|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Mar 2, 2013||Milan 3 - Lazio 0|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Oct 20, 2012||Lazio 3 - Milan 2|
|Serie A (SR-A)||Feb 1, 2012||Lazio 2 - Milan 0|
|Apr 19, 2014||Milan 3 - Livorno 0||SR-A|
|Apr 13, 2014||Milan 1 - Catania 0||SR-A|
|Apr 7, 2014||Genoa 1 - Milan 2||SR-A|
|Mar 29, 2014||Milan 3 - Chievo 0||SR-A|
|Mar 26, 2014||Fiorentina 0 - Milan 2||SR-A|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed