Warriors fan dies in stampede at Zimbabwe vs. Congo Afcon qualifier

The incident occurred when fans tried to gain entry into the National Sports Stadium to watch their team's crucial Africa Cup of Nations qualifier

A Zimbabwean female fan passed away during a stampede outside the National Sports Stadium on Sunday.

The name of the woman has not been revealed as yet. She is reported to have died as fans scrambled to get inside the stadium to watch Zimbabwe take on Congo Brazzaville in the Afcon qualifier.

Zimbabwe went on to beat Congo 2-0 and qualify for Egypt 2019, but the media only heard about the tragic news after the match.

Police confirmed the incident, saying that there are two other people who were also injured in the commotion.

“We are saddened to confirm that a woman died today (yesterday) between 2pm and 3pm and two people were injured at the National Sports Stadium at the match between Zimbabwe and Congo," Zimbabwe Republic Police spokesperson Paul Nyathi told The Herald.

“At Gate 3, there were problems with the ticket scanner and people became impatient since the match was about to start and they began pushing and shoving in trying to gain entrance. The woman who was in front fell down and was trampled upon by the mob. She was taken to a local hospital where she was confirmed dead after admission."

“We can also confirm that one person was injured during the stampede and was rushed to the hospital. His life is not in much danger. We also have a spectator who was injured and admitted into the hospital when he jumped into the stadium towards the end of the match and we have launched full investigations into the incidents."

Zimbabwe FA communication manager Xolisani Gwesela also confirmed the unfortunate incident. 

“We have been informed as Zifa about the unfortunate incident where a woman lost her life in a stampede on our match with Congo. Our condolences are to her family and to those injured we wish them quick recovery. But we will release a full statement about the issue,” said Gwesela.