News Live Scores

Saturday's Joint PSL Wrap: AmaZulu returns to winning ways, Maritzburg United trounce Free State Stars

23:25 EAT 20/01/2018
Maritzburg United, Fadlu Davids
Usuthu returned to winning ways at the expense of Matsatsantsa, while Team of Choice thumped high-flying Ea Lla Koto in Saturday's PSL action

Maritzburg United ripped yet another Free State-based side apart in the space of two weeks with a 3-0 thrashing of Free State Stars at Goble Park Stadium on Saturday.

Fadlu Davids' men came into the game as the underdogs after going down 1-0 to SuperSport United in midweek.

After a cagey opening spell, Ea Lla Koto looked ominous to break the deadlock, but the solid defensive display from goalkeeper Richard Ofori kept them out.

The Team of Choice was dealt an early blow when captain Bevan Fransman had to be pulled out in the opening 10 minutes through injury and was replaced by Rashine De Reuck.

The home side threatened to break the deadlock before the interval with Harris Tchilimbou and Siphelele Mthembu going close.

At the other end, Evans Rusike almost put the host in front, but he was denied by a host of Stars defenders as the first half ended goalless.

The visitors went ahead immediately after the break through Belgian-born Andrea Fileccia with a delightful finish from inside the box.

Rusike got on the scoresheet minutes later with a shot on the turn following Siphelele Ndlovu’s pass to put the visitors firmly in control.

Midfielder Bandile Shandu made the game save with his side's third four minutes from time.

At the King Zwelithini Stadium, AmaZulu returned to winning ways with their first win of 2018 after two first half goals were enough to see off SuperSport United in the evening's kickoff.

They secured a 2-0 half-time lead with goals from Siyabonga Nomvethe and Ovidy Karuru.

The United defence was caught napping and Nomvethe pounced to give Usuthu the lead from a cross after 11 minutes.

In similar fashion, Zimbabwean Ovidy Karuru capitalized on some poor communication between Reyaad Pieterse and his defence to intercept a loose ball and fire into an empty net before the break.

United tried to get back into the game, and hit the post early in the second half through Kingston Nkhatha, while they also had Aubrey Modiba's penalty saved by Siyabonga Mbatha.

In the end, Usuthu held on for their first win since October to move out of the relegation zone.