Cape Town City 0-2 Polokwane City: Rise and Shine dump defending champions out of MTN8
Vusi Mngomezulu of Polokwane City and Cape Town City Gift Links - August 2019
Goals from Mohammed Anas and Charlton Mashumba handed the visitors a surprise victory over last year's winners

Polokwane City broke Cape Town City hearts with a 2-0 win over the MTN8 holders on Saturday afternoon. 

Although the encounter was initially earmarked for the iconic Cape Town Stadium, the match was moved to Newlands Stadium. 

Cape Town City coach Benni McCarthy led his side on their quest to retain the trophy whilst Zlatko Krmpotic was looking to collect his first trophy in the South African top-flight.

It was a bright start for the Mother City outfit as they kept the ball in the opposite half and goalkeeper George Chigova was called to produce a save as early as the fourth minute.

City continued to dominate the proceedings and Craig Martin penetrated the visitor's defence with a dangerous run down the wing and found Thato Mokeke, whose shot from a distance was punched away by Chigova for a corner in the 20th minute.

However, Mohammed Anas managed to break the deadlock six minutes later, the Ghanaian forward was unmarked in the box and curled his effort into Peter Leuwenburgh’s bottom corner.

Despite the host's push for an equaliser, time was not on their side as they went to the tunnel trailing by a goal. 

Upon their emergence from after the half-time break, the hosts continued where they left off, putting the visitors under pressure in the 53rd minute, but Chigova was alert to collect Ebrahim Seedat’s low cross.

With less than 30 minutes to go, Rise and Shine were awarded a penalty when Cape Town City defender Abbubaker Mobara was adjudged to have pushed Lesiba Nku in the box and the referee pointed to the spot.

Sibusiso Mbonani took the responsibility of converting the penalty, but Leuwenburgh produced a brilliant save to keep the game deficit within reach.

Polokwane City were awarded a corner kick in the 70th minute and Mpho Mvelase came close to doubling the lead when his glancing header went inches wide with the hosts’ keeper beaten.

Towards the final six minutes, Krmpotic’s men were under pressure but managed to make it 2-0 through Charlton Mashumba, who finished a great cross from the right-wing to beat Leuwenburgh. 

Article continues below

The Limpopo-based club continued to probe for a third goal and Leuwenburgh produced a superb save before Emilson Dove cleared the danger in the 88th minute.

In injury time, the Mother City outfit thought they had found a consolation goal courtesy of Dove, but it was ruled out for offside.