News Live Scores

Liverpool should have had a penalty against Chelsea, say Goal Singapore readers

Liverpool supporters were left wondering what could have been when their side were denied what looked like a legitimate penalty claim in their 2-1 loss to Chelsea on Sunday.

Martin Skrtel gave the Reds a dream start with a header in the third minute, but the Blues fought back to level through a superb Eden Hazard strike and an opportunistic finish from Samuel Eto'o.

In a lively second period, Pool stormed back and hit the bar with a header from Mamadou Sakho, while Eto'o was also denied by Simon Mignolet at the other end.

The bone of contention, however, was an apparent foul by Eto'o on Luis Suarez in the closing stages. The Cameroonian looked to have pulled down his Uruguayan counterpart in the penalty area but referee Howard Webb failed to award a penalty.

A slight majority, around 56.8% of Goal Singapore readers believed that Chelsea were lucky to escape conceding a spot-kick, which would have levelled the game at 2-2 had it been scored at the 84th minute. The remaining 43.2% indicated that they felt Webb was correct not to award the foul.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers certainly thought it was a foul but refused to criticise Webb, while opposite number Jose Mourinho said instead that Suarez had performed an "acrobatic swimming pool jump".

Liverpool will face Hull City at Anfield next and will want to bounce back after two consecutive losses, having also been defeated by Manchester City before the Chelsea game.