SPL Round 27 Results: Inverness CT jump into second as Motherwell are thrashed at Ross County

Kris Boyd re-signs at Kilmarnock as they secure a point at home to Aberdeen, while St Johnstone continue their good home form with victory over St Mirren

Round 27 Results
Terry Butcher’s Inverness CT gained revenge for their Scottish League Cup semi-final defeat to Hearts and claimed their first win at Tynecastle since 2007.

The victory, coupled with Motherwell’s defeat at Ross County sees the Highland side regain second spot in the SPL, behind Celtic.

Inverness gained an early advantage when Gary Warren managed to get onto the end of an Aaron Doran free kick from the right-hand side and the centre-half powered his header beyond the helpless Jamie MacDonald in the Hearts goal.

The home side got level when Jason Holt picked the ball up from Darren Barr, danced past a couple of Inverness defenders before smashing the ball past Ryan Esson to claim his first goal of the season for the Jambos.

But the sides weren’t level from long as just after the hour mark Inverness regained their lead when a David Raven free kick was knocked down by Owain Tudur-Jones and Billy McKay managed to bundle the ball home.

John McGlynn’s side did get level after a Inverness failed to clear properly from a Michael Ngoo header and Andy Webster volleyed the ball towards goal and Esson was left stranded after a cruel deflection saw the ball nestle in the back of the net.

Once again Inverness regained the lead and secured the victory, when a Graeme Shinnie corner was headed past MacDonald by Warren for his second goal of the game.

Kilmarnock celebrated the signing of former Scotland international Kris Boyd by claiming a point at home to Aberdeen which saw Kenny Shiels' side move back into the top six.

The visitors took the lead when skipper Russell Anderson played a long ball towards Rory Fallon, who from the left hand side of penalty area lifted the ball over Kilmarnock keeper Cammy Bell and into the back of the net.

Despite Aberdeen having numerous chances to add to their advantage, it was Kilmarnock who got back level, as Mohamadou Sissoko lunched the ball forward for Paul Heffernan and the striker from just inside the box played the ball beyond Jamie Langfield in the visitors’ goal.

Aberdeen were demanding a penalty midway through the second half as Niall McGinn raced in on goal and looked to have been hauled to the ground by Bell, but instead of awarding a spot kick, referee Euan Norris booked the winger.

The Dons should have secured the victory late on as Jonny Hayes goal-bound strike looked like it would settle in the top corner, but Bell made a superb save to deny the winger and save a point for the Ayrshire side.
Goals from Ivan Sproule, Richard Brittain and Iain Vigurs helped continue Ross County’s good form as they have now gone eight games without defeat after comfortably seeing off Motherwell.

Derek Adams side took the lead when Zaine Francis-Angol lost possession just outside the box and that allowed Sproule to bear down on goal and fire past Darren Randolph for the opening goal of the game.

The Staggies doubled their lead when Sproule raced down the right and cut the ball across for Brittain to lash home beyond Randolph in the Motherwell goal to see the Highland outfit go two ahead.

With two minutes remaining Ross County secured a comfortable victory as Rocco Quinn played a lofted ball towards Vigurs on the left-hand side of the box and the midfielder volleyed the ball into the net to secure all three points for the home side.
A second half strike from Rowan Vine helped St Johnstone remain undefeated at home this year as they defeated St Mirren.

The only chance of the first half came for the home side as David McCracken powered a header over Craig Samson’s bar from close range.

The opener came six minutes after the break as St Mirren failed to deal with a corner from on-loan Newcastle youngster Mehdi Abeid, with the ball bouncing about the penalty area, before Vine struck the ball into the net.

St Johnstone should have wrapped up all three points on two occasions, but both Frazer Wright and substitute Gregory Tade managed to only find the woodwork, but the Perth side held on to claim all three points.