AFC Cup 2018: Group Stage Matchday Two Review: ASEAN Zone

Ceres Negros were held while Johor Darul Ta'zim were shocked in Vietnam..

The AFC Cup 2018 is well underway in the ASEAN Zone and this week we saw some exciting matches in the ASEAN Zone. Here is a look at what happened: 


Home United 1-1 Ceres Negros (Ishak 23' - Super 79') 

Singapore's Home United and Philippine's Ceres Negros split points on Tuesday after a 1-1 draw and went joint-top of Group F in the ASEAN Zone. 

Ceres Negros had a great chance to take an early lead when Sirina Camara scythed down Patrick Reichelt in the box in just the ninth minute. However, Bienvenido Maranon's resulting penalty came back off the upright. Home United then were awarded a penalty of their own, which Shahril Ishak had no trouble dispatching. 

However, Home United were dealt a blow in the 50th minute when Camara fouled Reichelt again and was shown his second yellow card. Ceres Negros made the most of their numerical advantage by scoring the equaliser in the 79th minute when Herrera headed home from a corner. 

Boeung Ket FC 1-2 Shan United (Maicon 28' - Ko Ko Chit 41' Chizoba 55') 

Boeung Ket Angkor fell to a second successive defeat in the AFC Cup after a 1-2 reverse at home to Shan United on Tuesday. 

The home team started the game well and surged into the lead in the 28th minute when Maicon curled a free-kick in from the edge of the area. However, that turned out to be a false dawn as Shan United hit back in the 41st minute. Dway Ko Ko Chit scored the equaliser from close range and the two teams went into the break level. 

In the 55th minute, Shan United completed the comeback as Christopher Chizoba made a powerful run through the Cambodian team's defence and converted himself. Shan are now placed third in the group with three points. 



Yangon United 2-1 Thanh Hoa (Uchida 67' Soe 87' - Faye 5')

Myanmarese outfit Yangon United maintained their perfect start to the AFC Cup 2018 campaign by dispatching off Vietnamese side Thanh Hoa 2-1 at home on Tuesday. 

It was the visitors who took the lead in Myanmar, with captain Pape Omar Faye latching on to Edward Ofere's chipped pass and firing past the goalkeeper from inside the box. Omar Faye then saw a shot come back off the woodwork as the visitors dominated the opening exchanges. 

But the tables turned in the second half as Yangon United's Maung Maung Lwin saw his shot parried by the goalkeeper into the path of Kosuke Uchida who duly tapped home. With three minutes left in the game, Aee Soe popped up with a dramatic winner by running on to Sylla's through ball in behind the defence and slotting it home. 

Global Cebu 1-1 Bali United (Dizon 11' - Spasojevic 74')

Global Cebu and Bali United opened their accounts in Group G after a 1-1 draw on Tuesday in Philippines

The home team were brighter of the two teams at the start and deservedly took the lead in the 11th minute. Paolo Bugas saw his cross-cum-shot rebound of the bar and Curt Dizon was on hand to nod it home. 

Bali United mounted a response but had to wait till the 74th minute to get their rewards. Ilija Spasojevic headed home from a corner as the Indonesian side drew level and went on to motch a historic point on the continent. 



Song Lam Nghe An 2-0 Johor Darul Ta'zim (Van Duc 22' Manh 90+4')

Song Lam Nghe An FC of Vietnam moved three points clear at the top of Group H after an enterprising 2-0 win over malaysia's Johor Darul Ta'zim on Wednesday. 

The Vietnamese side surged into the lead in the 22nd minute when Phan Van Duc beat the offside trap to get on to Ho Khac Ngoc's chipped through ball before tucking home past the goalkeeper. 

Though Johor mounted a spirited attack, the home team defended resolutely to keep them at bay. They went on to seal the result in injury time when Pham Xuan Manh finished off a quick counter-attack. 

Article continues below

Persija Jakarta 4-1 Tampines Rovers (Simic 12', 74', 86' Hehanusa 41' - Amri 77')

Indonesian outfit Persija Jakarta opened their account in Group H in style after pummelling Singapore's Tampiens Rovers 4-1 at home on Wednesday, on the back of a hat-trcik from Marko Simic. 

Simic gave them the lead in the 12th minute when he slammed home Riko Simanjuntak’s cut back from the right. Rezaldi Hehanusa doubled the lead before half-time when he cut in from the left and rifled in a shot from 20 yards. Though Persija went down to 10 men centre-back Jaime was dismissed for a second yellow card in the 48th minute, they went on to extend their lead. 

Simic got his second goal of the night in the 74th minute before Khairul Amri pulled one back. But even the faintest hopes of a comeback was snuffed out by Simic in the 86th minute by completing his hat-trick.