News Live Scores
Kaizer Chiefs

Shocking revelations as the PSL apologises for fan violence at the Moses Mabhida Stadium

16:15 GMT+3 23/04/2018
PSL Chairman - Dr Irvin Khoza
The Iron Duke says the male security official who was attacked on the pitch has been discharged from hospital

Premier Soccer League (PSL) chairman Dr Irvin Khoza has lamented the violent scenes that were witnessed at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday night.

The events unfolded during the Nedbank Cup semi-final clash between Kaizer Chiefs and Free State Stars where 18 people were left injured.

Ea Lla Koto bagged a 2-0 win to reach their first final since 1999, ending Amakhosi’s hopes of lifting a trophy in three years.

The Glamour Boys’ fans took to the field to vent their anger on the players and the technical team as they assaulted security guards, damaged broadcasting equipment and burnt the seats at the iconic venue.

On Monday, Khoza called up a media press conference to share details of what transpired at the 2010 Fifa World Cup venue.

Resulting from the bitter loss against his former club, coach Steve Komphela announced his decision to resign as head coach of Amakhosi.

Moreover, Khoza confirmed that the security guard who was attacked by fans on the pitch was not a female as initially reported, but instead a male who has since been discharged from hospital on Monday morning.

He revealed that the only female that received medical attention on the pitch was aged 35, but she was exceded the drinking limit. 

Speaking to the media at the PSL headquarters in Parktown, Johannesburg, the Orlando Pirates boss acknowledged a lack of effective security planning on the day.

"Regarding the security member that was kicked... the person that was kicked was a male, and he was treated and later released from hospital," said Khoza.

"The only female that was attended to was aged 35 and was over the drinking limit. She was paralytic. She had too much to drink. The hospital refused to take her in and they referred her to the police station where she slept over for the night. She was released yesterday morning," Khoza revealed. 

"The league is extremely shocked at the violence that took place at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday night. I want to make it clear that there is no place for violence in our stadiums and society," said the chairman.

"We apologise to all the stakeholders and broadcasters for the damage caused to their property. The pictures of the pitch invasion in the media are not good for the image of our local football,” said the PSL boss.

"Let me say that the league takes its responsibility to secure the safety of the fans, players and officials very seriously. There will be a thorough investigation. We also note the upward trend of increasing violence at stadiums,” he continued.

"The league held a meeting and noted the increasing criminality, especially at highly supported matches and a strong message must be sent to deal with this trend. It cannot be allowed to continue,” he lamented.

Meanwhile, the man also known as the 'Iron Duke' could not confirm if Amakhosi will face any further sanctions for the incident after recently being fined R250 000 for crowd trouble of which R200 000 was suspended for 24 months. 

Khoza could only say there can be no decision taken without a PSL Disciplinary Committee charging the club first.

“No decision can be made without a PSL Disciplinary Committee (DC) first charging the team and having a hearing,” responded the boss.

Furthermore, Khoza made shocking revelations as he addressed the media.

According to the PSL boss said the Lieutenant Colonel that was supposed to ensure that there's safety and security on the day didn't attend the pre-match planning meeting and only showed up on matchday. 

"How can he implement something that he wasn't part of?" asked Khoza.