News Live Scores
Goal United

Russian ultras attack England fans following Euro 2016 draw

5:57 AM GMT+8 12/06/2016
Russian Ultras
The recent trouble in Marseille boiled over once again as pockets of aggressive fans sought to cause harm to rival supporters after their 1-1 draw

Russian Ultras resumed fighting against England fans at the final whistle of their Euro 2016 Group B opener at the Stade Velodrome.

Two nights of trouble in the Old Port area of Marseille preceded the Three Lions' opening clash and continued into the match action, with several supporters having to climb over containment barriers in order to escape the violence.

As soon as the full-time whistle blew in Marseille, ultras from the Russian end made their way towards England supporters and began throwing punches and kicks, with a strip of blue tarpaulin the only thing separating both sets of supporters.

A failed attempt to invade the pitch earlier in the first half of the 1-1 draw was also reportedly from a member of the same Russian ultras group.

A lack of police presence after the whistle raises questions due to France being on high alert following the Paris terror attacks, but also due to crowd trouble in the Velodrome stands throughout the 2015-16 Ligue 1 season.

It was a miserable end to another dark day for England.

After an afternoon of fans rioting with their Russian counterparts and French police across Marseille for a third day in succession, they failed to break their duck of winning the first game at a European Championship.

Eric Dier's wonderful 73rd-minute free-kick looked to have won it for England, only for Russia skipper Vasili Berezutski to deny the Three Lions with a towering, injury-time equaliser.

But it was entirely in keeping with the day as a whole that the football would be marred by more violence on the terraces.

And it should be made clear: it was not England fans to blame, with goalkeeper Joe Hart urging supporters to 'be safe, stay here' after the final whistle.

Having already set off fireworks from their end, Russian fans charged across the flimsy divider to lay into innocent English supporters attempting to cope with the disappointment of the late leveller.

Stewards were powerless while there seemed to be no police presence whatsoever.

Eventually, calm was restored but it is seems unthinkable that UEFA will not take further action against both Russia and England after the ugly events of the last few days.