Andrea Pirlo has moved to end speculation suggesting that he could take a coaching role alongside Antonio Conte at Chelsea.
The World Cup winner has announced that he is to call time on his playing days at the end of his New York City contract.
At 38 years of age, the iconic midfielder is ready to take his career in a different direction.
Speaking at a Daily Mail event in New York, Pirlo said when asked if he would be joining the backroom team at Chelsea: “No I won't. I need to rest.
“I will go back to Italy, have a break and spend time with my family and friends. Take some time to think about what to do next.”
Pirlo had previously hinted that he could be tempted to cut his coaching teeth in England.
After confirming his retirement, he told Gazzetta dello Sport: “An assistant to Conte? People are saying that. I have my ideas but I need time to decide.”
While Pirlo has distanced himself from such a role, Conte has also sought to quash the rumours of an imminent arrival in west London.
Quizzed on the subject again at his pre-match press conference on Friday, the Premier League title winner said: "I know that Andrea has decided to retire and finish his career. I can talk about him in the best way but at this moment he doesn't know his future, or what he wants to do when he finishes."
It still remains to be seen what the future holds for Conte, with the 48-year-old having admitted that he intends to return to his homeland at some stage.
He has, however, attempted to clarify those comments and ruled out a second stint in charge of the Italian national side.
Conte said: “For two weeks I have been reading the wrong things. I did an interview two weeks ago and I am sure the translation was wrong because all I said was that one day in the future I'd like to go back to Italy.
"I have two years left on my contract with Chelsea and I am happy to work for this club, with my players, I like to work with them.”