MFM 1 Kwara United 0: Adebayo Waheed secures Olukoya Boys’ first win

Comments (0)
MFM vs Nasarawa United
The striker’s second half effort made the difference as the Lagos side got their first win of the season against the Harmony Warriors
MFM secured their first win of the season as they defeated Kwara United 1-0 at the Agege Stadium in Wednesday’s Nigeria Professional Football League encounter.

Although the Olukoya Boys reeled out an unusual performance, Adebayo Waheed’s effort in the 51st minute was all Fidelis Ilechukwu's side needed to secure victory in their first home encounter of the 2017-18 season.

Mercurial forwards Sikiru Olatunbosun and Stephen Alfred returned to the starting XI after missing out of MFM and Kwara United's opening day defeats, respectively.

The hosts started brightly and had three consecutive corner kicks dealt with expertly by Kwara defence.

Against the run of play - and in what would be the template for the majority of the opening 45 minutes - the Harmony Warriors embarked on a quick break and were left at the mercy of Michael Ohanu’s failure to test Abayomi Folarin.

Alfred’s resilience created a second clear chance for Kwara, again on the break. The left-footed winger played an incisive pass to Ohanu whose powerful effort went over.

In the 17th minute, Gischard Tchato carved out space for himself to direct MFM’s first shot on target. The effort was, however, gathered by Kwara goalkeeper Jonah Usman.

Both sides struggled to get a grip on their attacking forays which yielded nothing, thus, the first half ended in a goalless stalemate.

Six minutes after the interval, MFM benefitted from a horrendous goalkeeping from Usman. A searching cross-field pass found Stanley Okorom in acres of space inside the visitors’ box.

The rampaging right-back fired a low cross which was flopped by Kwara’s No. 1 into the path of an onrushing Waheed, who made no mistake from few yards out.

Article continues below

The Olukoya Boys almost doubled their lead via Olatunbosun who got to the end of a quick counter but saw his shot miss the target by whiskers. John Obuh’s side threatened to pull level a few minutes later after substitute Kayode Agboola failed to convert a gilt-edged chance, provided by Ohanu.

Another chance fell to Agboola but the forward saw his firm low effort miss the target. Despite chances from both sides, the game ended in favour of MFM.