Ghanaian midfielder Kwame 'Conte' Bonsu has filed for appeal following his conviction for abusing former wife Maria Magnusson, with a hearing set for July 10 at the Court of Appeal in Gavle, Sweden, Goal can confirm.
The 22-year-old was sentenced to jail last week for the incident that reportedly took place at his apartment in 2015. He was also fined $14,000.
However, the case has been referred to the High Court of Appeal by the Criminal Cases Review Commission, following new evidence provided by Bonsu and his family.
Bonsu has hired a new lawyer to represent him, according to his family.
“There is no way my brother is guilty in this case. I know that Maria framed up every bit of the story to destroy Kwame Bonsu's name and career because my brother decided to divorce her after a misunderstanding,” Bonsu's elder sister Nana Yaw Boatemaa told Goal.
“When the story was announced in the media, my mother nearly lost her life through shock,” she said.
“Everyone who knows Bonsu is aware that he can't even hurt a fly, let alone a human whom he spent some time with in the past. Maria wanted to save her marriage but after my brother insisted that he cannot marry her anymore, she then framed him up to bring him down.
“I know a lot of Ghanaians have heard the sad news of my brother so we are calling on high ranking Ghanaians like the president, youth and sports minister as well as the football association to help in one way or the other,” she added.
Bonsu arrived in Sweden in 2013 to join second-tier side Mjallby from Heart of Lions.