Everton 4-0 Gor Mahia: The Toffees smash K’Ogalo in historic friendly
This was the second time the two sides were meeting in one year; the first meeting was last year in Dar es Salaam

Kenyan Premier League champions Gor Mahia fell 4-0 to English Premier League side Everton in a friendly played at Goodison Park on Tuesday night.

This was the second time the two sides were meeting in one year; the first was last year in Dar es Salaam where goals from Wayne Rooney and youngster Kieran Dowell were enough to hand the visitors a 2-1 win, with K’Ogalo’s consolation coming from Jacques Tuyisenge.

A perfect chance for the African side came in the seventh minute when a good ball was delivered in from the left; it fell to former Ulinzi Stars and Sony Sugar man Samuel Onyango, but his miscued effort went out for a goal-kick.

Keeper Maarten Stekenleberg, Leighton Baines, Phil Jagielka and Morgan Schneiderlin were some of the established names in the hosts' line-up, meaning they were there for business. The Toffees took a deserved lead after a quarter an hour when a good ball was played to Cenk Tosuun, who played a low cross to Ademola Lookman top tap in from three yards.

Seven minutes later, it was 2-0, this time around, the Kenyan champions were caught on a counter attack, putting them in a three versus two situations. Shafik Batambuze, who was making his debut, had seemingly done enough to stop it but it fell to Dowell whose effort went past the desperate Oluoch.

K’Ogalo looked lost especially in the opponent's half, as they missed creative play to give the blunt attack a chance to get something on target. Interestingly, goalkeeper Boniface Oluoch looked much composed in passing as compared to the infield players.

It could have been three in favour of the English side in the 34th minute when Dominic Calvert-Lewin danced his way through, but his low effort was parried away for unfruitful corner.  The East African side would have Oluoch to thank in the first half, as he did well to make vital saves to prevent the team from conceding more goals.

Five minutes after the restart, George Odhiambo found his way past the marker but his off target effort did little to trouble the goalkeeper. A few minutes later, scorer Lookman left the defenders for dead, beat the goalkeeper too but Harun Shakava was in the right position to make a goal line clearance.

With thirty minutes to go, the Toffees custodian was forced to parry the ball by Humphrey Mieno, who took a good free-kick after a foul had been committed in a promising position; it fell kindly to Francis Mustafa, who missed the target by inches.

Youngster Peter Onyango was introduced in goal, and as usual, he did his part by making about two saves to ensure the score line stays the same, but it was not going to be the same for another keeper Shaban Odhoji.

A good cross from the left ensured the ball fell to substitute Nathan Broadhead, who did well to make it three. Moments later, concertation lapses allowed Oumar Niasse to break through before burying the ball past Odhoji to make it four.

Gor Mahia were using the match to prepare for the domestic season that starts on December 8 as well as the Caf Champions League.

Everton XI: Maarten Stekelenburg (GK), Mason Holgate, Leighton Baines, Phil Jagielka (c), Yerry Mina, Morgan Schneiderlin, Tom Davies, Kieran Dowell, Ademola Lookman, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Cenk Tosun. 

Article continues below

Subs: Joao Virginia, James McCarthy, Oumar Niasse, Beni Baningime, Nathan Broadhead, Anthony Gordon and Kyle John.

Gor Mahia XI: Boniface Oluoch, Karim Nizigiyimana, Shafik Batambuze, Joash Onyango, Haron Shakava, Ernest Wendo, Samuel Onyango, Philemon Otieno, Francis Mustapha, Francis Kahata and George Odhiambo.

Subs: Shaban Odhoji, Peter Odhiambo, Charles Momanyi, Joachim Oluoch, Wesley Onguso, Wellington Ochieng, Humprey Mieno, Boniface Omondi, Lawrence Juma, Kevin Omondi, Cercidy Okeyo, Bernard Ondiek and Eliud Lokuwam.

Comments ()