Caf Champions League Group C Review: Sundowns back in contention, Wydad ease past Horoya in Casablanca

The Moroccan giants moved three points clear at the top, while Sundowns registered their first win of the group stages

The Caf Champions League resumed this weekend and threw up several mouth-watering encounters as the group stages fast approach its business end.

There was certainly action galore in Group C in particular, as fans watched with great interest Mamelodi Sundowns clash with Togo-Port in a game that had their hopes of progression hanging in the balance.

At the other end, Horoya made the daunting trip to Casablanca in a top of the table encounter.

However, despite neither side being able to gain complete control of the group, that would not change too much as Sundowns clawed their way back into contention on Friday night.

Sundowns put on a stellar display where they edged out the Togolese side, who only weeks ago had the beating of their more illustrious opponents.

It was the Gaston Sirino show in Tshwane as the South American showed exactly why he was so highly regarded. The playmaker tore through the Togo-Port defence and broke the deadlock in the 11th minute.

Minutes later, he was again in the thick of things as he turned provider and laid the ball on a plate for Sibusiso Vilakazi, whose deft touch doubled Sundowns’ advantage.

The Brazilians were in complete control of the match but were guilty of squandering a number of chances.

In the second half though, Sundowns took their foot slightly off the pedal and this saw a nervy last few minutes as Togo-Port found a consolation goal through substitute Kokou Kloukpo, who was superbly played through on goal with a delightful chip by the impressive Aboubacar Sangare.

Nonetheless, in spite of the barrage of pressure on the Sundowns goal, the former African champions held on for a 2-1 victory.

The win saw Sundowns move to second on the log, after Horoya suffered a 2-0 defeat to the Moroccan giants Wydad Casablanca, who were in action on Saturday.

Wydad looked to move clear at the top and give themselves some breathing room between them and the chasing pack.

This showed in their determined display as the defending champions opened the scoring early on.

With 18 minutes played, Cheick Comara opened the scoring, thanks to a pin-point cross from talisman Ismail El Haddad.

Article continues below

 The goal saw the momentum continue to move in the direction of the home team and Mohamed Ounajem found the back of the net in the 18th minute. The attacker watched his left-footed effort from the centre of the box sail into the bottom corner.

While the Guinea outfit tried to find a way back into the clash, the Moroccans showed typical North African tenacity and held on for a rather comfortable victory.

The victory meant that Wydad would move three points clear of Sundowns heading into the final two group games.