BRICS U-17 Johannesburg: Indian eves bow out with a loss against China PR

AIFF Media
The junior Indian women's team lost all their matches and ended their campaign having scored thrice but conceded 15 times in four matches

The Indian U-17 women's national team lost 1-2 against China PR in their final BRICS U-17 football tournament held in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Sunday. 

India led 1-0 at half-time, courtest Manisha's 25th-minute strike but two second-half goals by the Chinese turned the result in the latter's favour.

Shukla Dutta persisted with the same starting XI that faced a 5-0 beating at the hands of Brazil on Saturday. India's earlier face defeats against South Africa (1-5) and Russia (1-3).

After failing to make the best of a free-kick in the 13th minute, Manisha was alert to pounce on a rebound from another free-kick in the 25th minute to turn it in the opponent's net.

The half-time scoreline could have read 2-0 but for an opportunity put down in the 42nd minute.

Indian goalkeeper Archana Arumugam, whose had managed to keep Brazil at bay until the 40th minute in the last match, did her best by effecting a good save in the 51st minute. However, her efforts were to go in vain once again as China converted from the spot to make it 1-1 in the 74th minute.

The Chinese eventually scored the winner in the 82nd minute while the Indian attack found itself toothless against a resolute rival defence.

Inda U-17 women's team starting XI: Archana Arumugam (GK), Samiksha, Pakpi Devi, Bannya Kabiraj, Manisha, Soumya Guguloth (C), Vanlalhriattiri, Santi Murmu, Pavithra Murgesan, Grace Lalrampari, Karishma Rai.

Next article:
De Bruyne admits to being below his best during injury-hit season at Man City
Next article:
African All Stars Transfer News & Rumours: Kevin-Prince Boateng set to join Barcelona on loan
Next article:
Barcelona set to complete shock Boateng loan move
Next article:
Asian Cup 2019: Fixtures, results, standings, tickets & complete guide to January tournament
Next article:
Arsenal confirm departure of Mislintat after January transfer window closes