AFC Champions League 2017 Roundup: Jeju United humbles Urawa; Hulk powers Shanghai SIPG

Getty Images
Hulk came to the party in Shanghai SIPG's win over Jiangsu while Urawa Red Diamonds were shocked by Jeju United..

First legs of the Round of 16 games in the AFC Champions League 2017 came to a close on Wednesday. Let's take a look at what transpired in the two matches that took place on the day: 

SHANGHAI SIPG 2-1 JIANGSU FC [Hulk 32' Ahmedov 45+' - Martinez 8']

Hulk of Shanghai SIPG

Andre Villas-Boas' Shanghai SIPG had to come from a goal behind to ensure they won the first leg of their Round of 16 matchup with fellow Chinese side Jiangsu Suning 2-1 on Wednesday. 

Star player Hulk was in fine form for the home team who found themselves trailing to an early goal from Jiangsu in the eighth minute. Roger Martinez had given the visitors the lead after a mistake by SIPG midfielder Cai Huikang sent him through on goal and he made no mistakes. However, Shanghai hit back hard and soon got themselves a penalty after Hulk was hauled down by Li Ang inside the box. The burly Brazilian converted it and set up the winner on the stroke of half-time. Odil Ahmedov headed in Hulk's cross from the touchline to give Shanghai the lead. 

The scoreline remained the same at the end of ninety minutes, giving Shanghai the advantage going into the second leg. 

JEJU UNITED 2-0 URAWA RED DIAMONDS [Toscano 7' Seong-Uk 90+2']

Jeju United vs Urawa Red Diamonds

South Korean side Jeju United took a big step towards progressing to the quarterfinals after a 2-0 first leg win over Urawa Red Diamonds in their Round of 16 clash at home on Wednesday. 

The start was brilliant for the home team with Marcelo Toscano heading them into the lead in the seventh minute after meeting Hwang Il-su’s cross from the right. Jeju saw Magno Cruz squander a pair of chances to add to his side’s lead in the first-half but the elusive second goal did not come even in the second half. The visitors also had their chances, with Zlatan Ljubijankic and Shinzo Koroki denied by Jeju United goalkeeper Kim Ho-jun.

As Urawa poured forward in the search of an equaliser, Jeju struck the killer blow in injury time on the counter. Jin Seong-Uk broke away quick and saw his shot go in off the near post to put Jeju firmly in control of this tie.