Zimamoto 2-1 Kaizer Chiefs (2-4 agg): Amakhosi advance despite going down in Zanzibar
Mtuba scored twice from the spot-kick to hand Zimamoto a 2-1 win over Amakhosi in the preliminary rounds of the Caf Confederation Cup

Kaizer Chiefs suffered yet another defeat, this time at the hands of Zanzibar-based outfit Zimamoto in the second leg of the Caf Confederation Cup preliminary rounds. 

Amakhosi gave away two penalties for the second successive match.

The two penalties were converted by Zimamoto's Mtuba, while Lebogang Manyama scored the away goal for the Glamour Boys. 

Giovanni Solinas made wholesale changes to the side that lost to Golden Arrows last weekend, with the likes of Itumeleng Khune, Leonardo Castro and Khama Billiat among others, all rested for the encounter. 

The Soweto giants had to do without the services of Ramahlwe Mphahlele, who injured himself against Abafana Bes'thende in Durban. 

Virgil Vries returned to the starting line-up alongside Siphelele Ntshangase and Daniel Cardoso, who started at right-back position in the absence of Mphahlele.

This was simply because Kgotso Moleko has not been registered for the competition. 

Playing on an artificial pitch, this was always going to be a difficult encounter for the Naturena-based side, but the fact that they had a 4-0 advantage from the first leg meant the job was almost done. 

After conceding two penalties in the 2-1 defeat away to Arrows, all eyes were on both Teenage Hadebe and Erick Mathoho, who kept their places in the starting line-up. 

It was more of a deja vu for the South African club as they gave away a penalty two minutes before the half-time break. 

Mtuba stepped up and made no mistake from the resultant spot-kick, firing the home side into the lead. 

Chiefs rallied after the restart and they were duly rewarded when Manyama levelled matters from a Bernard Parker pass in the 50th minute. 

Solinas' men thought they had taken the lead a few minutes later when Parker found Ryan Moon, who put the ball into the back of the net. 

However, the goal was disallowed after an infringement was spotted by the referee before the ball kissed the back of the net. 

Mathoho had to be replaced on the hour-mark after sustaining a knock, and his place was taken by Siyabonga Ngezana as Chiefs looked to keep things tight at the back. 

Nonetheless, Zimamoto still managed to give Chiefs problems as they were awarded another penalty in the 71st minute. 

Mtuba availed himself yet again to beat Vries and make it 2-1 to Zimamoto. 

At this stage, Chiefs knew that their opponents needed at least four more goals to advance to the first round - an almost impossible mission given that there was less 20 minutes remaining on the clock. 

Article continues below

In the end, Chiefs lost 2-1 on the day, but they advanced to the next round on a 5-2 aggregate scoreline. 

Despite progressing to the next phase of the tournament, Solinas knows that he's still under immense pressure to turn things around at Chiefs.

Calls for Solinas to be sacked continue to grow, but it's up to the Amakhosi management to make a decision.  

Comments ()