Graham Arnold has rolled the dice by naming Aaron Mooy in his Socceroos Asian Cup squad and Mark Bosnich believes it is an unnecessary gamble.
Mooy had been ruled out of action until February by Huddersfield following an MCL tear, but the FFA have decided to get their own assessment in an attempt to ensure he can play some part in the UAE.
But even if his injury isn't as bad as first feared, Bosnich is adamant Mooy won't be able to perform anywhere near his best and shouldn't be risked by the Socceroos.
"The bottom line is this, even if he is fit enough for the quarter-finals or semis...you still haven't trained properly for the past four, five weeks," Bosnich told Omnisport.
"It's going to take you at least another couple weeks of training and at least another couple of games to get anywhere near to what you were.
"And what you can do in that time is one, not do yourself any justice...and number two, what if he does a real serious injury?
"I would have said after what's happened 'No problem, understandable, these things happen'.
"He's been playing non-stop football. It's obviously his body crying out saying 'I need a rest'. I would have left him out."
With an injury update on Mooy expected on December 24, Arnold revealed he was confident Mooy would take some part in the Asian Cup.
If he is deemed unfit, the Socceroos have 12 unnamed standby players to call on with Bosnich declaring Terry Antonis as the man to replace Mooy.