Adelaide condemn Phoenix to third consecutive defeat

The Kiwis nightmare season continued despite taking an early lead and having all the momentum

Adelaide continued their impressive start to the season with a come-from-behind 3-1 victory on the road against the hapless Wellington Phoenix at Westpac Stadium on Saturday.

The home side were looking to snap a three-game winless streak and got off to the best possible start through Spanish midfielder Mandi.

But the Reds hit back through an unfortunate Tom Doyle own goal on the stroke of halftime, before taking the lead via Ken Ilso's header just after the restart.

Ilso completed his brace with a smart finish midway through the half to lift Adelaide to provisional third position on the A-League table.

The Phoenix started the game positively and were duly rewarded in the 14th minute with Mandi's bouncing volley lodging in the corner of the net after a poor effort to punch clear by Reds keeper Paul Izzo.

Adelaide attempted to hit back on the counter attack but it was Craig Goodwin's free kick that was closest, forcing Filip Kurto into a magnificent, acrobatic save.

It looked as if Wellington were going to hold a well-earned half-time lead until a routine cross from the left hand side deflected off Phoenix defender Tom Doyle into his own net.

The own goal sapped the momentum from the home side, and the Reds went ahead only two minutes into the second half as Ilso clinically headed home Michael Marrone's pinpoint cross.

Wellington chased the game after going behind and it was only a matter of time before Adelaide capitalised on the break, with Ilso sidefooting in Ryan Kitto's cross at the back post.

Article continues below

In reality the final score was kind on the Phoenix as the Reds squandered several chances on the break to add to their tally.

Wellington remain in eight position on the A-League standings with four points but could drop the bottom by the end of the round if Brisbane and Central Coast get positive results.