thumbnail Hello,

Super League

  • January 21, 2012
  • • 20:45
  • • Pasir Gudang Corporation Stadium, Pasir Gudang

MSL Round Report: Terengganu edge T-Team, controversy between Negeri Sembilan and Felda United

MSL Round Report: Terengganu edge T-Team, controversy between Negeri Sembilan and Felda United

Football Association of Malaysia

The clash between Negeri and Felda saw 3 players being sent off while the Turtles edged past T-Team in the Terengganu derby

Terengganu sealed a crucial victory over T-Team, in what was a tightly contested derby. The Turtles were impressive from the beginning with Liberian forward Francis Doe pulling the strings upfront. Zairo Anuar Zalani gave T-Team an early lead in the 10th minute through a penalty before Francis Doe restored parity courtesy of a spot-kick too. The dynamic forward then scored his third goal in two matches in the 65th minute to seal a crucial victory over their rivals.

Meanwhile, Negeri Sembilan's 1-0 win over Felda United was marred by several unwanted incidents that saw three players being sent off. The first incident took place in the first-half with S. Kunalan of Negeri and Farid Ramli of Felda being sent off, after a major brawl during injury-time. Shahurain Abu Samah then put the Deers upfront in the 57th minute. However, the fracas continued with Felda's Hardi Jaafar getting himself sent off right after the final whistle for being embroiled in a scuffle with Jean-Emmanuel Effa Owona.

Selangor's scant start to the season took a wilder turn as they contested a dour 0-0 draw against Sarawak at the Bukit Jalil Stadium. Despite seeing the away side dominate possession during early stages, Selangor's influence grew as the game progressed. Nevertheless, their obtuse attack could not generate many chances as Irfan Bakti's men were left to blame themselves for yet another disappointing match.

Kuala Lumpur picked up their first point of the season after an entertaining 1-1 draw with PKNS FC. The match was delayed by three hours due to a wet pitch, but when it kicked off, both sides were evidently going for the kill. PKNS finally took the lead in the 74th minute through Fauzan Dzulkifli and just as they were looking strong for a victory, Afiq Azmi popped up with an equalizer, much to the relief of the Kuala Lumpur fans. The scoreline remained as the City Boys claimed their first point of the season.

Kelantan ran out as easy winners against a depleted Kedah side at the Darul Aman Stadium on Friday. Mohammed Ghaddar opened the scoring for the Red Warriors with a well-taken penalty in the first-half, with the Canaries looking competent at that point of time. However, they slowly faded and the introduction of Dennis Antwi totally killed them off as the Ghanaian forward provided an assist for Norshahrul Idlan Talaha before adding the third goal in injury-time himsel.

Perak continued their impressive start to the season after claiming a massive 1-0 away win against Johor FC. The Seladangs named a relatively strong side but were pegged back by the home side crucially at times. Nevertheless, Shahrom Abdul Kalam provided the winning goal in the 75th minute, as Perak moved up to third place in the league table, with three wins from their first four matches so far.

LionsXII continued their revival by chalking up a victory against Sabah, their second win in as many matches, after a relatively poor start to the season. Hariss Harun popped up with a crucial header in the 20th minute, which ultimately proved to be the winner in a heated encounter. Both sides were also reduced to 10 men, with Irwan Shah and Mafry Balan getting caught red-handed after a minor scuffle, while competing for a loose ball. Sabah pushed hard for an equalizer but V. Sundramoorthy's men hung on for their first away victory.