FA Cup

Davies dedicates win to Pahang family

FA Cup
Selangor v Pahang
Matthew Davies
Pahang's captain Matthew Davies was elated to pick up his first winner's medal in Malaysia and wants to share the joy with the entire fan base.
Article continues below

Show Player

Third final in two years but after two previous disappointments, Davies can finally put on a smile after a final. Having suffered losses in both the 2017 FA Cup final as well as the gold medal match in the 2017 SEA Games, lady luck was finally on the side of the defender.

As club captain of Pahang, the 23-year-old Davies became the youngest ever captain to lead a victorious side in the history of the competition and the win also marked the first time that he has won something since coming into Malaysian football.

Davies is the epitome of consistency as he once again showed in the final that he has earned the rights to that idea. Selangor just coudn't find the breakthrough against a resolute Pahang defence as Davies and his team claimed their first clean sheet in eight matches.

Article continues below

But there was also slight disappointment admist the joy of lifting the trophy as the Bukit Jalil National Stadium failed to fill entirely as only approximately 44,000 fans turned up in the 87,000 seater stadium. Yet, Davies took it all in his stride and accepted that it was vital to win regardlesss of how many attended the final.

"The atmosphere is different slightly compared to last year. It was noticeable in the beginning that the fans weren't there. But credit to both fans group who created an amazing atmopshere despite the lack of numbers. So it was a really good experience for everyone involved."

"What is important is that Pahang lifted the trophy again. This is for Tengku Muda Pahang, for all the Pahang fans, for all the players and staffs that have worked so hard. What is important is the team," said Davies in the post-match press conference.

Davies and Pahang will now turn their attention to the final five matches of the Super League starting with the visit of PKNP FC on July 11 before the start of the Malaysia Cup in August.