News Live Scores

Wednesday's Nedbank Cup Wrap: Ubuntu FC upset Polokwane City, AmaZulu need penalties to advance

23:48 GMT+3 07/02/2018
Polokwane City, Thabiso Semenya
Polokwane City became the first PSL team to crash out of the Nedbank Cup, while AmaZulu needed penalties to oust NFD side Mthatha Bucks on Wednesday

Polokwane City were bundled out of the 2018 Nedbank Cup by National First Division (NFD) side Ubuntu FC. 

Bernard Molekwa rested a few of his regulars, probably thinking that his team would have it easy against Ubuntu, but the Cape Town-based outfit had other ideas.

After a frantic start that saw City open the scoring 13 minutes into the game through Salulani Phiri, the visitors took full control of the game and created some good goalscoring chances. 

They actually should have wrapped up the game in the first half, but they were guilty of being wasteful in front of goal. 

City took their foot off the gas and allowed their home side to claw their way back into the game, and Ubuntu eventually found the equalizer through Ranga Chivaviro, who fired past goalkeeper Harold Ndlovu on the stroke of half-time to make it 1-1. 

The goal swung the pendulum in their favour and they went into the half-time break oozing with confidence. 

Ubuntu attacked soon after the restart and they were duly rewarded for their persistence when Chivaviro completed his brace with a fine header three minutes into the second half.  

Molekwa responded by throwing in Walter Musona and Dominic Chungwa in an attempt to find the equalizer. 

Despite showing determination and intent, City were dealt a massive blow when Sibusiso Mbonani was given his marching orders, and therefore making it almost impossible for the visitors to mount a serious comeback. 

City did find the equalizer midway through the second half through Musona, much to the relief of Molekwa and his technical team. 

Given their numerical advantage, Ubuntu launch attack after attack and wanted to bury their Polokwane-based opponents in the closing stages of the game. 

However, it wasn't to be as the match ended in a 2-2 draw after regulation time, forcing both teams to play an extra 30 minutes to determine the winner. 

The encounter appeared to be heading for penalties until Ubuntu broke the hearts of City by finding the back of the net six minutes from time. 

Siyambonga Madikane fired past Ndlovu from close range in the 114th minute as Ubuntu registered a shock 3-2 win over the City in Cape Town. 

Elsewhere, AmaZulu needed penalties to oust Mthatha Bucks and book their place in the Last 16 of this year tournament. 

The first half saw both sides fail to find the back of the net despite a number of goalscoring chances created. 

Usuthu had their work cut out as they came up against a Bucks side which has experienced players in their squad. 

Former Free State Stars midfielder Angelo Kerspuy and Mashale Rantabane led from front for Mthatha Bucks, and gave Usuthu a good run for their money. 

Rantabane stunned the home crowd when he opened the scoring with a superb header in the second half. 

AmaZulu upped their game and took the game to the NFD side, and they restored parity via Camaldine Abraw, who finished off a good move by Jabulani Ncubeni in the 65th minute. 

Bucks goalkeeper Olivier Kwizera, who is on loan from Ea Lla Koto, produced the best save of the game as he tipped Sinethemba Mnguni's effort over the crossbar 15 minutes from time. 

The Eastern Cape-based held on in regulation time and the match went straight into extra time following a 1-1 draw after 90 minutes.

Siphiwe Lumkwana fired Usuthu ahead a minute into the first half of extra time, and Bucks looked dead and buried until Linda Bhengu scored the equalizer in the latter stages of game. 

The winner had to be determined by a penalty shoot-out, and Usuthu walked away 3-0 winners.

Bucks would have themselves to blame for not converting a single spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out, but for Calvin Johnson and his technical team, this was a lesson not to undermine teams from the lower leagues if they are to go all the way in the competition.