Terengganu City are FAM Cup champions, thanks to key man Rahizi Rasib

Malaysian FA
The Sharks are the champions of Malaysia's third tier this season, after they defeated Selangor United 2-0 in the FAM Cup final on Thursday.

BY        ZULHILMI ZAINAL       Follow on Twitter

Terengganu City are the 2018 FAM Cup champions, after they defeated Selangor United 2-0 in the final match on Thursday. In the match that was held at the KLFA Stadium, Rahizi Rasib again played an instrumental role for the Sharks, scoring the opening goal in the 52nd minute, before winning a penalty in the 71st minute, which was converted by Khairul Ramadhan Zauwawi.

Both teams had already secured the promotion to the second tier; the Malaysia Premier League for the 2019 season, as the FAM Cup finalists.

The designated hosts almost opened the scoring in stunning fashion in the second minute, when forward Yusaini Hafiz Saad flicked a cross over goalkeeper Muslim Yusof, and into the back of the net. However, he was rightly flagged for offside.

He was not flagged for offside in the 21st minute after dribbling a short distance into the penalty area, but he sent his shot wide.

Norhafizzuan Jailani connected with a teasing cross by winger Thivagar Rajendran from the right with a brilliant header in the 33rd minute, but Muslim was more than equal to it, smartly tipping the ball over the bar to keep the deadlock unbroken.

A minute before halftime, the Sharks registered their first dangerous attempt on goal. Midfielder Sollihin Mahamad struck from outside the box, but his chance whizzed just inches over the bar.

The exciting and fast-paced first half somehow ended goalless.

Sollihin sent in a teasing corner kick from the right two minutes into the second half, but all his teammates in the United box somehow failed to connect with his delivery.

The first goal finally came in the minute, thanks to Ramadhan's move. He dodged a defender to the left of the United box, before sending a short low cross into the box, which was stabbed in by forward Rahizi. 

Rahizi again proved his major role at the team, when his move led to their second goal of the night. Dribbling into the box in the 71st minute, he left defender Ridzuan Kamis with no choice but to foul him, and referee Fusser Mad Sallih pointed to the spot without any hesitation. This time he repaid Ramadhan's favour, letting the midfielder reap the fruit of his hardwork, and Ramadhan duly put the spot kick away.

In the semi-finals, it was Rahizi's goal in the second leg tie, which ended in a 1-0 win, that had allowed the Sharks to emerge as the winners, and gain promotion and a place in the final match. 

Substitute Syamim Alif Sobri almost pulled one back for the hosts five minutes later, but his header was saved point blank by Muslim.

As United were searching desperately for a goal, substitute and former Malaysia U-23 international Izzaq Faris Ramlan was sent off with a straight red card, for retaliating after a foul.


Also follow Goal Malaysia 's Instagram account!