News Live Scores

Gor Mahia hold visiting Hull City but fall on penalties in friendly

17:33 EAT 13/05/2018
philemon otieno,stephen kingsley
Coach Dylan Kerr made a huge statement with his line-up, fielding the strongest side possible to face the English side

Hull City defeated Gor Mahia 4-3 on post-match penalties after both sides battled to a barren draw in a friendly played on Sunday.

Coach Dylan Kerr made a huge statement with his line-up, fielding the strongest side possible that included captain, Haron Shakava, Godfrey Walusimbi, Earnest Wendo and Francis Kahata.

It was the same case with Hull City manager Nigel Adkins, who gave former Manchester United man Fraizer Campbell an opportunity to face the Kenya champions, as well as David Marshal and Jon Toral.

The visitors started well in the first half, playing their trademark passing game, but failed to break down their hosts. In the sixth minute, Daniel Batty did well to bring in a cross from the left, it was cleverly directed to Campbell by William Keane, but Campbell took too long to make a decision and eventually lost the ball.

That dangerous moment was a cue to the Green Army; George Odhiambo cut in from the left in the eighth minute, did well to find Ivorian Ephram Guikan , but the custodian was on the right place to deny him.

About five minutes later, the hosts conceded a free kick about 45-yards from the goal. It was played in by Hull, but midfielder Jon Toral failed to guide his header into the net, with the goalkeeper well beaten.

In the 20th minute, Gor Mahia initiated a counter attack, Humphrey Mieno picking Kahata. The former Thika man decided to go for goal with George Odhiambo waiting, and it proved to be a bad decision as the ball flew just wide off the mark.

Hull defender Adam Curry fouled Tuyisenge on the edge of the 18-yard box, the free-kick was taken by Kahata but his curler hit the outside of the crossbar and went out for a corner.

The best opportunity in the first half came in the 30th minute when Mieno won the ball in the midfield. It was a three versus one situation and an opener looked imminent. However, Tuyisenge decided to be selfish and went for goal, but he could not hit the target.

Gor Mahia looked stronger even after the break, but their main undoing was finishing the many opportunities created, with Guikan and Tuyisenge the main culprits.

The missed opportunities almost came back to haunt them in the 72nd minute. Walusimbi headed the ball to Oluoch unaware of Jarrod Bowen's run. The latter got on to the ball before Oluoch, but the custodian managed to keep it out for unfruitful corner.

At the end of the 90 minutes, no team had managed to hit the back of the net, and penalties had to decide the winner. K’Ogalo scored through Meddie Kagere , Tuyisenge and Samuel Onyango with Shakava , Onguso, Cercidy Okeyo and Kevin Omondi missing theirs.

Hull converted courtesy of Toral, Kevin Stewart, William Chadwick and Robbie McKenzie, with Bowen, Thomas Powell and Branjon Flemming missing.

Gor Mahia XI : Boniface Oluoch 29, Philemon Otieno 26, Godfrey Walusimbi 2,  Joash Onyango 12, Harun Shakava (C) 18, Ernest Wendo 20, Francis Kahata 8, Humphrey Mieno 30, Jacques Tuyisenge 9, Ephraim Guikan 19 and George Odhiambo 25.

Subs : Shaaban Odhoji (GK) 16, Wesley Onguso 21, Charles Momanyi 27, Joachim Oluoch 15, Cercidy Okeyo 10, Sammy Onyango 6, Boniface Omondi 11, Kevin Omondi 14, Meddie Kagere 22.

Hull City XI : David Marshall 12, Daniel Batty 18, Robbie McKenzie 37, Adam Curry 46, Stephen Kingsley 28, Kevin Stewart 35, Goebel Evandro 15, Jon Toral 11, Jarrod Bowen 20, William Keane 19, Frazier Campbell 25.

Subs : Callum Burton 36, Branjon Fleming 33, Tyler Hamilton 32, Thomas Powell 47, William Chadwick 45.