KPL Top 8: Tuyisenge sends Gor Mahia to semis

Tuyisenge scored in the second half to help K'Ogalo bundle out Ushuru FC from Kenyan Premier League Top 8 tournament

Rwandese striker Jacques Tuyisenge scored in the second half to help Gor Mahia bundle out Ushuru FC from Kenyan Premier League Top 8 competition.

Tusker, Ulinzi Stars and Muhoroni Youth had already qualified for the semi-final after bundling out their respective opponents, and it was a question of, who was going to join them.

K’Ogalo came into the match as favorites considering the fact that that the taxmen have never won against them, nor scored a goal. It took a few minutes for the Green Army to settle and it dictated the tempo from the word go, with youngster Erick Ouma impressing after being given the node ahead of regular Abouba Sibomana.

The taxmen eventually settled and in the ninth minute, Aziz Okaka did well to control the match on the left wing but was unable to trouble Jerry Onyango, who returned between the post ahead of Boniface Oluoch.

In the 14th minute, Ushuru’s Wafula was played perfectly onside by Charles Okwemba, and the forward failed to score, considering it was a one on one situation. It almost came to haunt Ken Kenyatta’s charges as ten minutes later, Khalid Aucho passed the ball to George Odhiambo on the right, and the latter played a cross in which was headed over the bar by Tuyisenge.

A minute later, it was K’Ogalo again as Philemon Otieno committed a foul on the edge of the box, and Aucho took the resulting free-kick which came off the right post, with Odhoji well beaten.

It was a one way traffic as Ushuru was pinned in its half, and in the 37th minute, the Kenyan champions won a corner which was taken by Ouma. He exchanged a short one with Tuyisenge and the former played a cross in, which ‘Blackberry’ failed to capitalize on with the goal at his mercy.

In the second half, it was a balanced affair as the tax collectors came with relaxed nerves, denying their opponents space and time to pass the ball like they did in the first minutes. However, it was Gor Mahia, who looked dangerous, did everything right apart from scoring.

In the 61st minute, a ball was floated in from the left with four Gor Mahia players offside. With everyone else waiting for the flag to go up, the assistant referee had different ideas as he let the game continue, with Tuyisenge finishing it past unbelieving Odhoji.

Despite protests by Ushuru, the goal stood and it ensured Gor Mahia booked a semi-final date with Tusker, with Muhoroni entertaining Ulinzi Stars in another semi-final.