Gor Mahia 2-1 Sofapaka: K’Ogalo lifts DStv Super Cup

Gor Mahia started their campaign for 2015 season on a high note edging out Batoto ba Mungu in curtain raiser to collect their first silverware

Gor Mahia bagged their first silverware in 2015 after a goal in each half downed Sofapaka 2-1 in curtain raiser of DStv Super Cup at Nyayo Stadium on Wednesday night.

Ali Abondo, who returned to K’Ogalo from Tusker, scored both goals in 24th and 68th minute while an own goal by second half substitute Innocent Wafula in added time handed Batoto Ba Mungu a consolation. Abondo tapped in the opener before sealing of the game from well taken penalty.

A late surge by Sofapaka handed them a lifeline with Wafula scoring to his own net but they could not grab an equalizer to take the match to extra time and penalties. An elated Gor Mahia coach Frank Nuttall praised his charges for playing according to instructions.

“My players did not disappoint today (Wednesday). They played according to instructions and contained Sofapaka, who had resorted to long balls to penetrate our back four. We could have been punished had we insisted on falling to their plans but we maintained our own game and that made the difference.

"As always, the boys were able to raise their game. We performed better than we did in pre-season and showed that the boys are always able to raise their game when it matters most."

Abondo's first goal came in 25th minute when he tapped home after being put through by Godfrey Walusimbi. His second was through a penalty awarded after Sofapaka goalkeeper David Okello had hacked down Michael Olunga inside the box.

Abondo was delighted by his performance after the win. "This was an important win for us considering that it is the first trophy of the season," he said after being named man of the match. Sofapaka coach Sam Timbe was a disappointed man and blamed 'outside pressure' for the performance.

"It was a disappointing show and we have a lot to work on going into the next game. Some of our players just did not click." Generally, it was a balanced game in all aspects and Sofapaka should have been pulled one back in 82nd minute but Gor Mahia goalkeeper Boniface Oluoch made a brilliant save by denying Fiston Rizak.

From the counter-attack Godfrey Walusimbi missed from taking his side ahead shooting wide. Wafula came on with five minutes to go and with his first touch of the ball made inroads inside the Sofapaka backline but nothing came from it.

He was to turn villain a few minutes later scoring into his own goal while trying to clear the danger. Gor Mahia will host Madagascan side CNaPS (Caisse Nationale de Prévoyance Sociale Sport) in their CafChampions League, preliminary round, first leg tie at Nyayo Stadium on Saturday from 4pm while Sofapaka take on Zimbabwe’s Platinum in their Confederation Cup preliminary round, first leg fixture at same venue from 3pm on Sunday.