Al Khartoum 1-3 Gor Mahia: K’Ogalo storm Cecafa final

K’Ogalo inched closer to ending their long wait for Kagame trophy after they cruised past Al Khartoum in Friday’s semi-final played at National Stadium

Gor Mahia confirmed their place in Cecafa Kagame Cup final after they mauled Al Khartoum of Sudan 3-1 in semi-final contest played at National Stadium in Dar es Salaam on Friday.

Amin Elmani put Al Khartoum in front just three minutes into the game, but Michael Olunga leveled matters from the spot in the 23rd minute before Innocent Wafula’s screamer made it 2-1 for the Kenyan Champions.

Meddie Kagere sealed the comeback approximately five minutes after the restart to send K’ogalo to the first final in thirty years. The two sides met during the group stages with the contest ending in a 1-1 draw. The sides proceeded to the latter stage after wins against APR of Rwanda and Malakia of South Sudan respectively. It was the Sudanese side, who started brightly getting the opener in the third minute after deflected ball found its way to his feet.

It was a shocker for the Green Army, who did not see it coming, as the team looked a little bit disgruntled after conceding. But Frank Nuttal’s side gained composure and looked certain to make things even with a series of attacks. Meddie Kagere thought he had scored in the quarter hour mark, but his header came off the post with the goal at his mercy after Godfrey Walusimbi’s fine work which exposed the custodian.          GOAL NUMBER TWO: Innocent Wafula celebrates after making it 2-1

K’ogalo however, got a chance to make things even in the 23rd minute through a penalty after Omer Alkhidir was adjudged to have handled inside the 18-yard box to hand Olunga a chance to score his fifth of the tournament.

With Al Khartoum thinking on ways to regain the lead, the tormentor in chief Olunga won the ball on the right wing, and with Kwesi Appiah’s men closing him down, the engineering student fed the onrushing Wafula, who steadied himself before firing past the goalkeeper to make it 2-1.  
     MY BALL: Wagdi Awad Abdalla of Al Khartoum tackle Karim Nizigiyimana of Gor Mahia

After the restart, the fourteen times Kenyan Premier League champions looked set to get more goals with the front three of Kagere, Wafula and Olunga’s pace causing concern for the opponents. And it was no surprise when Olunga swung a cross in which was unconvincingly parried away by Mohammed Abdallah to allow Kagere make amends for his early miss. 

After the incident, Khartoum looked frustrated as Gor Mahia played cautiously avoiding mistakes which could bring their opponents into the match. The Sudanese side will however, return home heads up after reaching the semis in their first attempt.