Gor Mahia 2-1 Malakia: K’ogalo cruise to Cecafa semis

K’Ogalo will now face Al Khartoum of Sudan for the second time but in the last four of the tournament after the latter tossed out APR of Rwanda

Gor Mahia romped into the last four of Cecafa Kagame Cup after downing a hard fighting Malakia of South Sudan 2-1 in a quarter-final match played at National Stadium in Dar es Salaam on Tuesday.

Ugandan international Godfrey Walusimbi netted a brace, the first after three minutes when he connected a Michael Olunga cross. Olunga made a good run towards goal and tried to pick out Meddie Kagere, who missed and the ball found Walusimbi waiting and he did not make a mistake scoring.

Walusimbi added his second in the 27th minute from a counter-attack. The Sudanese champions scored their only goal in the 65th minute through Mathew Thomas, who headed home a free header. Gor Mahia took the game to their opponents and could easily have scored a second goal three minutes after going ahead had Meddie Kagere been quick to react and guide home Karim Nizigiyamana's cross.         STRENGTH: Gor Mahia forward Meddie Kagere powers past Malakia defenders 

The Sudanese side were impressive on the ball and also managed time and again to out muscle Gor Mahia under pressure. The first fruit of their pressure was a 31st minute corner kick after Eric Ochieng’ had a touch of the ball while trying to clear the danger. The corner was curved well and Boniface Oluoch had to come out quickly and clear the danger.

Two dangerous set pieces by Malakia dangerously exposed the Gor Mahia backline. The Kenyan champions having survived the scare launched their own counter-attack which was ended by Mahmoud Altahir after he pulled down Meddie Kagere and was cautioned for that even as Gor Mahia went to the break with a healthy advantage.

Coming into the second half, both teams continued to push with Innocent Wafula putting the Malakia backline under intense pressure with dangerous balls trying to look for Kagere.
  NEXT OPPONENT: Gor Mahia will face Al Khartoum of Sudan in semi-finals

But it was Malakia, who scored and the Gor Mahia backline will blame themselves for conceding. Gor Mahia should have hit back almost after conceding that goal. A combination between Wafula and Olunga ended in a fruitless corner.

Then in the 67th minute, Olunga was denied by the cross bar as Gor Mahia stepped by pressure. The Kenyan champions then rested Meddie Kagere for George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo as they sought more goals but had to be content with the two.

Gor Mahia will now face Sudanese side Al Khartoum in the semi-finals. Khartoum booked their place in the last four after eliminating favourites APR of Rwanda by winning 4-0.