Gor Mahia 3-1 Telekom: K'Ogalo cruise to third victory

K’Ogalo needed goals from Michael Olunga, George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo and Enock Agwanda to register their third victory and move to ten points
Gor Mahia continued with their good run in Cecafa Kagame Cup after thrashing Telekom of Djibouti 3-1 at National Stadium in Dar es Salaam on Sunday.

K’Ogalo needed goals from Michael Olunga, George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo and Enock Agwanda to register their third victory and finish Group ‘A’ matches with a bang. Gor Mahia now move to top of the group but must wait for the outcome of the match pitting Al Khartoum of Sudan v Yanga of Tanzania.

Both Gor Mahia and Al Khartoum were tied on seven points but victory for the Sudanese outfit in their last preliminary match, could relegate the Kenyan champions to second spot. Gor Mahia coach Frank Nuttall was happy after the final whistle.

“That was another good performance from my charges. I am impressed that we are winning matches even after rotating our squad. It was not an easy task but thank God we are now on ten points.”

Asked on prospects of meeting Azam in quarter-finals should Al Khartoum beat Yanga and by a wider margin, Nuttall responded, “We are ready for any team in this tournament. We came here to play and not follow on which team to meet. We are good enough to play any other team but as I said before…we are taking a game at a time.”

    ANOTHER GOAL: Michael Olunga celebrates scoring his fourth of the tournament

Gor Mahia were the better side from onset and should have scored in opening minutes but Enock Agwanda, who was starting a match in Cecafa for the first time, fluffed several scoring chances.

Olunga also had another open chance to guide K’Ogalo to an early lead but his effort was stopped by Telekom goalkeeper. However, the Kenyan champions took the lead in the 12th minute when ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo riffled home a shot from outside the box.

Olunga then grabbed his fourth of the tournament in 30th minute after he latched onto a cross from Ronald Omino to fire home. Despite going 2-0 up, K’Ogalo did not stop pressing for another goal as Ali Abondo came close and Odhiambo was also denied by the woodwork.

   RALLYING BEHIND K'OGALO: Gor Mahia fans at National Stadium on Sunday

On resumption, Gor Mahia looked a relaxed side as goalkeeper Jerim Onyango was called into making two saves in a space of four minutes. However, Telekom pulled a goal back when Hassan Said headed past Onyango in 76th minute.

Agwanda assured Gor Mahia of the victory when he scored six minutes later. It was Agwanda’s first goal for the club since ditching Sofapaka during the June transfer window.