Gor Mahia 3-1 KMKM: Olunga engineers K’Ogalo’s second win

K'Ogalo continued with their fine form in Cecafa Kagame Cup after rolling past KMKM of Zanzibar in their second Group 'A' match played on Monday

Gor Mahia registered their second victory in Cecafa Kagame Cup after towering striker Michael Olunga grabbed a brace to help gun down KMKM of Zanzibar 3-1 in Dar es Salaam on Monday.

Olunga's double makes him the top scorer of the regional tournament after three days and looks set to have a great tournament. Meddie Kagere had put Gor Mahia ahead in the third minute before Simon Mateo equalized for his side in the 11th minute.

Gor Mahia went on the offensive right from the word go and were rewards early. A Khalid Aucho header found Olunga waiting and he laid it nicely at the feet of Kagere to score.

The Tanzanian side were doing a good job controlling the midfield and with it put Gor Mahia under pressure as they searched for the equalizer. It should have come in the eighth minute but Simoin Mateo hit the side netting. Three minutes later, Mateo got the equalizer when he rose up to head home Juma Ngwana's corner-kick.

  OPENING GOAL: Deadly Kagere puts Gor Mahia ahead in 2nd minute of the match

Gor Mahia defenders will blame themselves for allowing the goal as they left Mateo to go up alone. In goal, Boniface Oluoch appeared to have hesitated just a bit. Gor Mahia had another chance to go ahead in the 29th minute but an Ali Abondo free-kick was well dealt with in the KMKM goal.

Tactically, the Tanzanian side looked superior and were always at the Gor Mahia backline forcing the K’Ogalo backline to make mistakes. In the 32nd minute, Khalid Aucho was cautioned for bringing down Ali Omar. The same fate befall Musa Mohammed in the 40th minute after he brought down Omar. On both occasions KMKM failed to take advantage of their awarded free-kicks.

The Kenyan champions found themselves unable to bring in crosses from the flanks after their opponents cut off this supply and therefore, opted to take long balls. Just before half-time break, KMKM were unlucky not to get ahead. Juma Ngwana was denied by Boniface Oluoch, who reacted quickly to pick the ball from his feet. Then Mateo's low free-kick went just wide and it was the home team, who went to rest on a high.

   TORMENTOR: Michael Olunga was the chief destroyer helping himself to a double 

The home side started the second half with the same pace they had in the first and Ngwana's free-kick from the edge of the Gor Mahia box nearly counted.

However, from then on, Gor Mahia dominated the proceedings and a 48th minute free-kick by Abouba Sibomana was well taken forcing a quick save from Nasor Abdallah in the KMKM goal. Abdallah's first save ended up at Meddie Kagere's feet but the Rwandese could not convert though it put a lot of pressure on their opponents.

Gor Mahia then rested Godfrey Walusimbi for Enock Agwanda in a move that added pressure on the KMKM backline. From a Kagere shot pass, Karim Nizigiyimana set up Michael Olunga, who headed home the second goal for his side in the 69th minute. Olunga then netted his second in the 81st minute finishing off a long throw in by Agwanda.