Yanga SC 3-0 Coastal Union: Wananchi find their scoring boots
Carlinhos scores for Yanga SC.
Yanga SC.
The Jangwani Street-based charges needed second-half goals to leapfrog Azam FC who were leading the chase

Yanga SC produced a five-star performance to beat Coastal Union 3-0 and move top of the Tanzania Mainland League table.

Prior to Saturday's game, the 27-time champions had never scored more than a goal in each of their games his season. They had started the campaign with a 1-1 draw against Tanzania Prisons before registering an identical 1-0 scoreline against Mbeya City, Kagera Sugar, and Mtibwa Sugar.

It seemed the story would be the same against the Tanga-based side as the first half ended in goalless.

The hosts had dominated, creating several chances in the process, but finishing them was a problem.

Goal 50 Revealed: The best 50 players in the world

Whatever the technical bench told the players during the half-time break worked as the Jangwani street-based charges upped their tempo in the second half.

Two minutes after the restart, Tuisila Kisinda managed to pick out Angola midfielder Carlos Carlinhos, who was making a run into the danger zone. The 25-year-old headed the ball powerfully, giving the goalkeeper no chance to save it. 

In the 52nd minute, Kisinda was at it again. He picked out Yacouba Songne's pass before finding Haruna Niyonzima, whose fierce shot struck the inside of the post and into the net.

Ten minutes later, Songne was rewarded for his good display. Feisal Salum released a through-pass and the Burkinabe attacker outpaced and outmuscled his marker, went past the goalkeeper, and ensured his team got the third goal. 

The result took Young Africans top of the table with 13 points from the five games they have played, a point more than second-placed Azam FC who have a point less.

Simba are third with 10 points after playing four games.

Meanwhile, Gwambina FC tasted their first win in top-flight football this season after defeating fellow newcomers Ihefu FC 2-0.

Prior to Saturday's match, the hosts had not won any games, and the best they had done was get a draw and lose the remaining three matches. 

Emmanuel Kichiba was fouled in a good area after 31 minutes by an Ihefu defender, and the referee handed the hosts a free-kick. The goalkeeper parried the ball but it fell to Meshack Abraham who headed the ball home.

It took Gwambina just three minutes to double the advantage. Poor marking allowed Amos Kadikilo acres of space on the left and the winger fully capitalized on it.

The attacker managed to spot Abraham in a good position, and he passed the ball to him and the latter headed his second of the game to ensure his team bag maximum points. 

Article continues below




Comments ()