Golden Arrows v Mamelodi Sundowns Match Report, 10/11/2019

3 - 2
D. Phiri (61)
K. Mutizwa (72)
K. Mutizwa (81 pen)
T. Morena (41)
A. Jali (88)
Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium
Golden Arrows 3-2 Mamelodi Sundowns: Courageous Abafana Bes'thende humble Masandawana
18:25 EAT 10/11/2019
Lyle Lakay of Mamelodi Sundowns challenged by Seth Parusnath of Golden Arrows, November 2019
Knox Mutizwa (brace) and Danny Phiri scored for Abafana Bes'thende, while Thapelo Morena and Andile Jali netted for Masandawana

Mamelodi Sundowns are now winless in three successive Premier Soccer League (PSL) matches after succumbing to a 3-2 defeat to Golden Arrows in Durban on Sunday afternoon.

Steve Komphela made only one change to the team which faced and drew 0-0 with SuperSport United in midweek.

Lindokuhle Mtshali made his return to the starting line-up as Abafana Bes'thende looked to return to winning ways in the league.

Komphela's counterpart, Pitso Mosimane made wholesale changes to the starting line-up following his side's goalless stalemate with Baroka FC in midweek.

Andile Jali, Lyle Lakay and Mauricio Affonso were the amongst five players who were making their return to the Sundowns starting line-up.

The visitors dominated the match from the start with Thapelo Morena enjoying a more advanced role as a right-winger.

The speedy player should have opened the scoring when he found himself in a one-on-one situation with Arrows goalkeeper Edmore Sibanda.

However, the Bafana Bafana international was denied by the Zimbabwean shot-stopper, who produced a magnificent save from close range.

Tebogo Langerman came close to scoring directly from a corner-kick, but Sibanda was alert as he made a great save to deny the Sundowns full-back.

Sundowns' pressure finally paid off four minutes before half-time when Langerman set-up Morena, who netted with a tap-in to make it 1-0 to the visitors heading into the break.

Arrows were the better side after the restart with Knox Mutizwa forcing Sundowns shot-stopper Denis Onyango into a decent save from a free-kick. 

However, Uganda's finest keeper was beaten when he spilt Danny Phiri's shot into the back of his own net to make it 1-1 just after the hour mark.

Mosimane reacted by introducing former PSL Footballer of the Year Sibusiso Vilakazi as the visitors looked to restore their lead.

The hosts did not sit back and defend after levelling matters as they continued to attack and they managed to take the lead for the first time on the day.

Mutizwa fired into the far corner to make it 2-1 to Arrows in the 72nd minute after the Masandawana defence was exposed. 

The momentum was with Komphela's men and they were awarded a penalty after promising midfielder Seth Parusnath was fouled in the Sundowns box.

Zimbabwean hitman Mutizwa then stepped up and beat Onyango for the second time on the day to make make it 3-1 to Arrows with nine minutes left on the clock.

However, the defending champions fought back and they pulled one back through Jali, who netted with a decent finish in the dying minutes of the enthralling clash.

Sundowns then pushed for a late equalising goal, but the home side stood firm at the back and ultimately, Arrows emerged 3-2 winners on the day.

The win took Arrows to the fourth spot on the league standings ahead of the Telkom Knockout Cup semi-final clash between the two teams on November 23.

While Sundowns remained second on the league log - 10 points behind the current leaders, Kaizer Chiefs, but have a game in hand.