News Live Scores

Indian U16 colts beaten at the death by Jahn Regensburg

India's U-17 national team, currently on an exposure trip to Germany, displayed some steely grit and sitzfleisch in their opening tour game again Jahn Regensburg, though they were ultimately undone by a penalty in the second half, which saw the hosts walk away as the victors by a 3-2 margin on the scoreline. 

The Indian colts began on the front foot, though they headed into the half time interval two goals down to the good. However, the touring team picked up the ante in the second half and had two quickfire shots rattle the back of the opposition net as the young Tigers clawed themselves back into the game. They conceded a silly penalty and were forced to pay as the attacker nailed his shot in to help Regensburg retain their lead for the rest of the match. 

The Indian team began on a lively note as they impresed their hosts with two quick chances in the opening half of the friendly. First, Amarjeet's corner was well read by Suresh, who's alertness saw him aim his header at goal, though he was denied the opener due to the ball rattling the crossbar. 

Then, almost in excellent synchrony, the fledglings pierced Regensburg's rear-guard again only to squash the ball into the side-netting. That was more of a wake-up call for the German team, who seized on their opportunities and scored two vital goals to go into the half-time break with momentum on their side. 

However, it was the away team that began an assault on the home team's goal and joyfully rattled them. They were awarded for their endeavour, when in the 55th minute Boris broke through the opposition's defense and reduced the deficit with a neatly place shot. India's optimism in attack paid dividends just a few moments later when Aman's significant run at goal, saw the Germans concede a penalty for a foul in the box. 

Amarjit then stepped up and converted from the spot, in the 65th, to put the Tigers at level pegging with the hosts and seemingly looking to hold on for the draw with just five minutes remaining of the game.

However, the football Gods had different ideas as a rash challenge in the box,  in the 69th and penultimate minute of the 70 minute match, saw Regensburg's attacker gifted with an ideal opportunity to seal the game. They did exactly that, with a coolly converted penalty to ensure the scoreline read 3-2 at the final whistle.