1) The FA decided to reduce the number of clubs in the league to 20 at the end of this season. Therefore 4 teams got relegated and only 2 were promoted from League One for the following season.
2) Crystal Palace, Norwich City, Leicester City and Ipswich Town were the four relegated teams. Despite getting relegated Crystal Palace still managed to reach the last four of both domestic cup competitions.
3) Blackburn Rovers won the league title which was their first in 81 years and third overall. The title race, which was contested largely between Blackburn and defending champions Man United, went till the last day but Blackburn emerged winners by a single point. The league title has gone to the last day of the season only three (95-96, 98-99, and 07-08) more times.
4) Chris Sutton became the most expensive English signing when he joined Blackburn Rovers from Norwich City for a transfer fee of £5 million. But that record was broken in January when Man United signed Andy Cole from Newcastle for £6 million.
5) Nottingham Forest returned to the top flight with a bang as they finished 3rd to clinch a UEFA CUP spot. It is till date the best finish by a promoted club in the FA Premier League along with Newcastle’s 3rd place finish in the previous season.
6) The FA Premier League saw two more instances of player doubling up as manager. Ray Wilkins took over QPR as player-manager in November and steered them to a 8th place finish whereas Gary Megson too was given the same role at Norwich City close to the end of the season, but he couldn’t stop the Canaries from relegation.
7) The season witnessed a series of controversial incidents:
i) Paul Merson of Arsenal admitted to having used banned substances whereas Chris Armstrong of Crystal Palace failed a drug test.
ii) Chelsea midfielder Dennis Wise was imprisoned for three months for criminal charges related to a fight with a taxi driver.
iii) Man United star Eric Cantona was banned from football for 8 months , fined £20,000 and imprisoned for 14 days for kicking a fan at Selhurst Park with a ‘kung fu’ move .
iv) However, the punishment handed out to Spurs stands out above the rest. They were found guilty of commercial irregularities under previous club owners back in the 1980s. They were heavily fined, docked 12 points in the league, and banned from the FA Cup for that season. Eventually the points deduction and ban from the FA Cup were revoked, but they had to pay a fine of £1.5million.
8) Strangely, the total goals scored and as a result the average goals scored per game was identical to the previous season, 1195 scored at an average 2.58.
9) Blackburn scored the most goals (80), whereas Man United conceded the least (28). On the other hand, Crystal Palace scored the least goals (34), and Ipswich Town conceded the most (93), which includes a 0-9 thumping at the hands of Man United, still the largest margin of victory in the premier league.
10) Blackburn’s Alan Shearer won the PFA Players’ player of the Year.
11) The young Robbie Fowler of Liverpool won the PFA Young Player of the Year.
12) German world cup winner Jurgen Klinsmann, who joined Spurs in the summer of 1994, was named the Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year.
13) Alan Shearer was top scorer with 34 goals.